FIREFIGHTERS have issued a warning to be wary of faulty Christmas lights over the festive season.

A dramatic video showing the effects faulty lights can have on a dry tree has been released by firefighters.

The video shows how a broken light can spark an inferno on a Christmas tree that could spread to the whole room in less than a minute.

In seconds, the video shows a living room enveloped with fire.

The London Fire Brigade warned: "Check your Christmas tree lights are in good condition and turn them off before you go to bed.

"Marke sure you have working smoke alarms."

Christmas safety tips:

  • Never place candles near your Christmas tree or furnishings. 
  • Decorations can burn easily - Don't attach them to lights or heaters.
  • Switch off electrical appliances when not in use, unless they're designed to stay on.
  • Take special care with Christmas lights. Always switch off and unplug Christmas lights before you go to bed.
  • Check your Christmas tree lights conform to the British Standard. Always use an RCD on outdoor electrical equipment (safety device that can save lives by instantly switching off the power)