A MUM-OF-TWO from Appleton Thorn who was battling mental health issues hanged herself after falsely fearing people 'wanted to kill her', a court heard.

The body of Nicola Vine, formerly of Chapel Lane, was discovered on June 29 in Antrobus, Northwich, after an appeal, which was shared by thousands on social media following her disappearance.

Family members were in Warrington Coroner's Court on Tuesday to hear tragic details of the events building up to her death.

The court heard she had a 'delusional belief' she was being accused of wrongful activity and feared people 'wanted to kill her'.

The problems began to escalate in June after Nicola became 'acutely mentally ill'.

Following an apparent overdose on June 11 she was admitted to A&E at Warrington Hospital and then transferred to Hollins Park on the same day.

Mental health nurse Amy Kerr confirmed Nicola was 'engaging' well and built a good rapport during her time there, although admitting she still had signs of anxiety.

She also said the patient 'did not meet' the criteria for detention following her discharge on June 17.

Coroner Nicholas Rheinberg backed the decision of Hollins Park staff.

He said: "I am satisfied that the decision for Nicola to remain at Hollins Park as a voluntary patient was an appropriate step to take.

"The day after admission she still very had delusional beliefs but the days that followed she became calm and less of worry for staff."

Following her release the court heard Nicola, who was prescribed an anti-depressant, consumed a bottle of wine after coming come.

Mr Rheinberg described June 24 as a 'turning point' after it emerged that Nicola was writing notes.

"The notes appeared to indicate she was determined to end her life," he said.

Two days later a nurse came to the conclusion Nicola needed to be hospitalised after a home visit, with it appearing likely she would be sectioned.

After becoming aware of the situation she expressed a 'determination' not to be admitted and left the house on June 26, after which partner Ian Halpin called a nurse, the court heard.

Resident Steven Edmonds, from Antrobus, said he saw Nicola standing outside his home but after smiling at him she 'walked off'.

And on June 29 Sarah Hayes found Nicola hung in a stable at around 5.15pm near her Antrobus home, on Pole Lane.

Mr Rheinberg concluded there was no third party involvement.

"I am satisfied Nicola intended to die, albeit at a time when she was not in full mental state, while the balance of her mind was disturbed" he added.

Following the ruling the family read out a statement outside the court.

It said: "Following the coroner's ruling that Nicola intended to take her own life after her mind was unbalanced, we would like people to respect the family's privacy at this time."

If you have been affected by the issues in this article, you can call the Samaritans on 116 123.