THE first words uttered by defendant Michael Rollason following his arrest on suspicion of causing the death of a much-loved father were to say he thought he had hit a wheelie bin.

Police constable Yvonne Doyle told the court how she attended the 39-year-old's home at 10.10pm on February 18, 2014, along with a colleague.

Police investigations had led the officers to the property in Great Sankey after automatic number plate recognition technology had identified that a car registered at the house had been driving near to the crash site at the time of the collision.

"As I approached the property to the right of the drive there was a grassy area.

"But as I walked up to the door I could see the vehicle basically tucked up and facing forward against the hedge," she said.

On inspection, PC Doyle could see that the car had been damaged.

After calling her superior, PC Doyle knocked on the door and a man, who was later identified as Rollason, looked out of the window.

PC Doyle asked the defendant to come down and open the door.

While inside the property PC Doyle cautioned the defendant at 10.20pm and he was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and leaving the scene of a crash.

But minutes later PC Doyle was informed that the victim of the crash, Terry Brown, had died from his injuries.

At 10.30pm, he was cautioned again and was re-arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

When questioned on his response to being arrested for the second time, PC Doyle said: "After a short pause he said 'I thought it was a wheelie bin'."

The jury at Liverpool Crown court were also played a recording of Rollason speaking to his insurance company hours after the crash to sort out a claim for the damage.

In the recording, Rollason can be heard telling a woman from the insurance company that the damage had been caused to the car on February 17 at 6.45pm on Liverpool Road in Penketh.

He said: "Wind blew a wheelie bin into the road and I've hit the wheelie bin and it flipped up and smashed the light."

When questioned if the police had been informed, if anyone else was involved or if he was injured he answered 'no'.

He also claimed he had not been in any accidents in the past five years and has been driving for nearly 19 years.

Rollason added that the car had been bought five or six weeks ago.

During the call, he raised concerns about the £1,000 excess he would have to pay for the total damage to be covered.

It was then agreed that he would pay a £70 excess by only claiming for the damage to the windscreen.

He added: "The bumper has only got a bit of a scratch on it.

"I think I might be able to buff it out actually."

Earlier in to day the court heard how protective headwear was not enough to save Mr Brown from the force of a car which knocked him off his bike,

Expert evidence has been presented to the jury during the second day of the trial into a man accused of killing the cyclist.

Michael Rollason, of Wootton Street, Bedworth, Warwickshire, is on trial after pleading not guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.

The 39-year-old, who has pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving, denies driving dangerously on the day that Mr Brown from Great Sankey was knocked off his bike while cycling along Warrington Road, Bold Heath, on February 18, 2014.

Doctor Jonathan Medcalf revealed how his investigations concluded that Mr Brown died from a blunt force which led to head and neck injuries.

He added: "I think the force of the impact was so substantial that the helmet was not enough to save him."

The court heard how Mr Brown's helmet had broken at the back after he was knocked onto the windscreen of the car and then hit the ground and skid along the surface.

Mr Brown suffered numerous injuries including a trauma to the head and a fractured neck.

He was taken to hospital but medics could not save him.

Liverpool Crown Court heard how the weather had been 'fine' on the day of the collision but it had rained recently.

Police constable Claire Whitworth, who attended the scene as part of the forensic collision investigation unit, gave her account of the road condition which she described as being in a 'good state'.

She also revisited the site days later to re-examine the condition during darker hours.

She said: "The street lighting was all lit and working perfectly and visibility was good."

Constable Whitworth was also part of the team who assessed the silver Vauxhall Astra after it had been discovered by officers.

She recalled how there was extensive damage to the car including a smashed windscreen and a fog light missing.

She also noted that there were two cardboard air fresheners hanging from the rearview window - one was a white dove the other a blue diamond.

The trial continues.

To read the coverage of the first day of the trial click here.