A 79-YEAR-OLD former factory worker died in a Grappenhall nursing home following exposure to asbestos during her days doing the job 'she couldn't wait to get out of', an inquest heard.

Veronica Barlow, who spent her final days at Summerville Nursing Home, worked at Turner Brothers' manufacturing site in Greater Manchester from 1956-59, where she operated machinery and cleaned down her work station each day.

In her life statement, Warrington Coroner's Court heard last Wednesday, how Mrs Barlow worked in 'incredibly dusty conditions' and got 'covered in dust' at the factory.

One day before passing away with mesothelioma on October 8, the inquest was told that her condition was deteriorating.

A passage from the statement, signed in June 2012, and read out in court, said: "I wore overalls and they got covered in dust.

"The asbestos was mainly white but sometimes blue as well, I was not exposed to asbestos in any of my other jobs."

Mrs Barlow's daughter, Catherine Rooney, of Appleton, recalled her mum's days working at Turner Brothers - one of the few jobs she disliked during her career, including her role as a nurse.

"She used to say that she could see the asbestos in the air when the sun was shining in the factory," she said.

"I don't think that it was a job that she liked and she could not wait to get out of it."

Delivering his concluding judgement, Coroner Alan Moore said the cause of death was industrial disease mesothelioma.

He added: "It was more likely than not the exposure to asbestos that has led to medial mesothelioma."