CONNOR Wrench crossed for a hat-trick of tries as a strong Warrington Wolves Reserves side won 36-16 at Hull.

Matt Davis and Ellis Longstaff, two more members of Daryl Powell's first-team squad, also touched down as the side returned to action after a six-week break.

A third win in four games looked on the cards from the second minute when Davis capitalised on a break by Leon Hayes and fine combination work on the next tackle by Tom Inman and Jacob Gannon. Hayes converted and three minutes later his high kick was fumbled by Hull FC and Wrench picked up the loose ball before using his strength to score in the left corner.

The visitors continued to press and they scored again when Ben Tyrer ran the ball on the last tackle close to the line and found centre Jack Darbyshire who slipped a nice ball to winger James Hartill who acrobatically squeezed over in the right corner.

And then from a scrum on the Hull FC 10-metre line Hayes found Wrench at speed to power over for another converted try and only 15 minutes on the clock.

Midway through the half Hull FC got themselves on the scoreboard when a penalty put them deep into the Wolves half and Manoa Wacokecoke created space for winger Lewis Martin to score in the left corner.

Three minutes before the break a kick on the last tackle cannoned off a Wolves defender and Callum Rutland was on hand to pounce on the loose ball and score at the side of the posts. Medforth added the conversion, but Wolves led 20-10 at the break.

Two minutes into the second half Wrench raced 30 metres before finding Ellis Longstaff on his inside to score and Hayes converted.

Then Hayes combined with Longstaff to send Wrench clear on a 30-metre run to the line before adding another fine touchline conversion.

With nine minutes remaining Hull FC claimed a consolation try but an error from the restart gave Wolves possession and strong drives from Wrench and prop forward Rob Butler punched holes in the defence before the ball was shifted along the line to Darbyshire and he put Hartill over in the right corner.

Wolves Reserves head coach Danny Evans said: “This was our first away game and we came up against a very spirited Hull team.

"I was delighted by the win in a tough encounter. We had Lewis Hughes and Ben Tyrer both making the step up from Academy and playing their first game at Reserves level; both played pivotal positions within the team and along with Leon Hayes carried out the plan superbly.

"We had the luxury of some first team boys dropping down and they were great especially Connor Wrench who scored three tries and looked dangerous throughout. This was probably our best display to date and the boys can be proud of how they performed.”

Hull FC: Davy Litten; Keiran Masike, Conner Gilbey, Manoa Wacokecoke, Lewis Martin; Sullivan Medforth, Jacob Hookem; Matty Laidlaw, Callum Rutland, Alex Gibson, Zach Jebson, Leon Stewart, Aiden Burrell. Subs: Logan Moy, Will Gardiner, Harrison Petrie, Harry Trulson.

Wolves: Lewis Hughes; James Hartill, Jack Darbyshire, Connor Wrench, Jake Thewlis; Ben Tyrer, Leon Hayes; Rob Butler, Tom Inman, Jacob Gannon, Ellis Longstaff, Ellis Robson, Matt Davis. Subs: Lucas Green, Dan Brewin, Aiden Doolan, Luke Thomas.