"BRIERS scores a later winner against St Helens" – something to brighten any Warrington Wolves fan's day.

However, rather than legendary half-back turned assistant coach Lee, it is his son Reece making the headlines on this occasion.

Wearing the number six shirt his father made his own, the stand-off scored a last-gasp winner as The Wire's under 19s won 24-22 against their Saints counterparts at the Totally Wicked Stadium on Saturday.

It was arguably the team's best and most composed display of the season and it left head coach Paul Anderson understandably delighted.

“I am really happy for the group," he said.

"We worked really hard, especially in the small effort areas and discipline, and I was very pleased with the character on show to stay composed when we went behind late in the game for the first time.

"We backed ourselves to keep playing and forced an error that set up field position to score the winning try.

"I believe we also have to give some credit to the match officials that are all learning like our players and let the game flow.”

Good pressure from the kick off by Wolves saw them force an error and then two goal-line drop-outs before another handling mistake from Saints inside their own 20-metre area and some patient build up play was rewarded in the sixth minute.

A chip into the in-goal area by Briers saw centre Jake Thewlis react quickest to score on the right. Briers converted and then 20 minutes later, hooker Aiden Doolan went down the short side to find Jack Darbyshire and a lovely times pass from the second row put centre Dan Brewin through a gap to score on the left. Briers added the conversion.

Three minutes before the break, pressure on the Wolves line by Saints was rewarded when full back Jonathan Bennison linked into the play and put centre Owen Blackwood over wide out on the left to leave the half time score at 12-4 in the visitors favour.

Six minutes into the second half, Saints hooker Taylor Pemberton made a break down the middle that split the Wolves defence and he found substitute Ethan Bradbury in support to score under the posts. Winger Shay Martyn converted but seven minutes later, the young Wolves restored their two-score advantage.

A high kick by Briers was fumbled by Saints and from the restart, Briers' inside ball found loose forward Denive Balmforth who powered through the line and rounded the full back to score under the posts. Briers added the conversion.

Just before the hour mark, Saints prop forward George Delaney broke through the line and raced 45 metres to score under the posts. Martyn converted and then as the game moved towards the closing stages, Saints stand off Daniel Moss collected the ball out wide on the left and stepped through the Wolves line to score under the posts and put his side ahead for the first time. Martyn added the conversion.

With three minutes remaining, the Wolves' tenacity in defence forced Saints into a handling error in their own half and on the last tackle, a smart kick from scrum-half Leon Hayes into the in-goal area was pounced on by Briers, who scored under the posts.

He coolly slotted over the conversion to give the young Wolves a memorable and thoroughly deserved win.

Wolves: Noah Booth; James Hartill, Jake Thewlis, Dan Brewin, Zac Bardsley-Rowe; Reece Briers, Leon Hayes; Kieran Rennox, Aiden Doolan, Luke Thomas, Adam Holroyd, Jack Darbyshire, Denive Balmforth. Subs: Ben Hartill, Lucas Green, Ashley Barnes, David Mills, Lewis Hughes, Oliver Simpson