WARRINGTON Wolves' under 19s produced a stunning comeback to win at Hull Kingston Rovers.

On two separate occasions, Paul Anderson's side were 14 points in arrears – with 10 minutes to go, they trailed 24-10.

However, Tom Whitehead's late winner allowed them to snatch a 28-24 victory after tries from Leon Hayes and Denive Balmforth had set up a blockbuster finish.

“We are really happy for the group, the character to keep going and overcome a 14-point deficit twice in the game was really pleasing," Anderson said.

"Prior to the match we identified a couple of areas of our game to take forward and improve on and in the main we did improve in these areas."

Hull KR opened the scoring in the fifth minute when a break down the middle from their own twenty metre line by loose forward Owen Maull split the Wolves defence and the ball reached hooker Charlie Cavanaugh, who raced 50 metres to score on the left.

Ten minutes later, a high kick on the last tackle by stand off Callum Chapman-Peterson was fumbled by Wolves and the loose ball was picked up and slipped to winger Darnell Byas-Tash, who went 20 metres to score in the right corner.

Just after the midway point of the half, Rovers winger Brad Ward made a break down the left wing and he found scrum half Tom Verity in support on his inside to go over at the side of the posts. Full back Kieran Lawton converted.

Then with five minutes of the half remaining, a strong carry by Wolves substitute Dean Beddall paved the way for the ball to reach scrum half Hayes, who chipped into the in-goal area and won the race to touchdown at the left of the posts. Hayes added the conversion to his own try.

Right on the stroke of half time, Wolves narrowed the gap further when pressure on the Hull KR line paid off as a great ball from centre Jake Thewlis found winger James Hartill, who brilliantly squeezed over in the right corner with three defenders on him to make the interval score 14-10 to Rovers.

Fourteen minutes into the second half, a repeat set for Rovers close to the line reaped benefits as substitute Daniel Okoro-Aroh powered over from 10 metres out to score at the side of the posts.

Four minutes later, a kick by the Wolves on the last tackle was collected on his own line by Lawton and he raced 100 metres to score in the right corner. Substitute Jack Potter added a superb touchline conversion to stretch the hosts' lead back to 14 points.

Just after the hour mark, Wolves had stand-off Aiden Doolan sin binned for a late tackle and three minutes later, Hull KR prop forward Tom Whur was given a yellow card for a trip.

As the game entered the final 10 minutes, Wolves substitute Denive Balmforth broke through the Rovers line and rounded the full back on a 30-metre dash to score at the right of the posts. Hayes added the conversion.

Almost immediately, Wolves were over again when a superb jinking run from Hayes split the Rovers defence and he raced over at the side of the posts. He converted to reduce the deficit to just two points.

Two minutes from time, a great bullet pass from hooker Tom Inman was collected by loose forward Whitehead at speed and he crashed over at the side of the posts for the match winning score. Hayes added the conversion to round off a fine comeback.

Anderson's side now move on to face St Helens under 19s at the Totally Wicked Stadium on Saturday, kick off 12pm.

Wolves: Lewis Hughes; James Hartill, Jake Thewlis, Dan Brewin, Tom Burnett; Aiden Doolan, Leon Hayes; Kieran Rennox, Tom Inman, Luke Thomas, Adam Holroyd, Jack Darbyshire, Tom Whitehead. Subs: Denive Balmforth, Jamie Reddecliff, Ashley Barnes, David Mills, Ambrose Kibula, Oliver Simpson, Zac Bardsley-Rowe, Dean Beddall.