WHO could forget the impressive sight of man mountain Dave Chisnall in full flight?

The prop forward was not only a fine tackler and a valuable yard maker but also capable of real pace despite his formidable 16 stone frame.

He scored probably his best try at Wilderspool on September 26, 1982, when he twice sold outrageous dummies to the Bradford Northern defence on the halfway line and then charged home.

He scored his first try for Warrington more than a decade earlier and in equally impressive circumstances.

Less than a month after making his first team debut away at Salford on August 20, 1971, Dave found himself facing a touring New Zealand side at Wilderspool.

Rather than finding the situation daunting, the teenager ran in the first try of the game as Warrington won in style 13-2. Dave played a total of 210 games for Warrington, scoring 29 tries along the way, during two spells with the club.

The first ran between August 1971 and September 1975, including playing in the side that beat Featherstone in the Challenge Cup final in 1974.

He also captained the side that lost to Widnes in the following year's cup final.

Dave said: "It was an incredible honour for me to captain the side at Wembley. It was such a huge occasion. I was quite calm after we'd won it the year before but it was terribly disappointing when we lost."

A surprise move to Swinton came about later in the same year after Dave fell out with manager Alex Murphy. He became something of a journeyman player, spending spells with Leigh, St. Helens and Barrow over the next six years before returning to Warrington in October 1981.

He spent another three seasons in the first team before moving into coaching.

Dave said: "Playing at Wilderspool was always special, particularly in the big games. We had a big rivalry with Featherstone and Dewsbury during my first spell with the club and the ground was always packed when they came to play.

"I enjoyed coming back to play at the ground when I was at other clubs to. The fans always treated me as one of their own and there was a great rapport there."

He coached the Alliance teams at Leigh and St. Helens before a disastrous spell at Runcorn.