WHEN Matlock Town were probing for an equaliser in the later stages of this game, one could not help but wind the clock back seven days.

That was another game Warrington Town deserved to win and they were well on their way to doing so until Lancaster breached the dam in the 88th minute.

On this occasion, though, that never looked like happening. There cannot be too many arguments that anything other than a Warrington win was the correct result.

> Carden hails 'a proper team performance' from Yellows at Matlock

It demonstrated the mixture of resilience and quality that became their hallmark last season – let us not forget that Matlock started this match above Yellows in the table.

That is no more and a six-point week was just what they needed going into a run of three consecutive home games.

Warrington Guardian:

Ben Garrity wheels away after scoring the equaliser. Picture by John Hopkins

The wide areas were a continued source of joy for Town – Jack Mackreth in particular was giving his full-back a torrid time.

When they kept the ball on the floor, they looked threatening but clear-cut chances were once again hard to come by.

That said, how referee Ben Tomlinson decided against giving a penalty when a raised Matlock boot made contact with Ben Garrity’s head defies reason.

Matlock’s advantage was a physical one and as the weather grew worse and the pitch deteriorated, it seemed to play more and more into their hands.

Neither side could really lay claim to deserving a half-time lead, so when Dave Raven was unfortunate enough to flick beyond his own keeper, Town could consider themselves unfortunate to trail.

In truth, that kind of mistake looked Matlock’s most likely route to goal but it gave them the foothold they craved.

Not that it mattered as within seven minutes of the restart, the game was flipped on its head.

Tony Gray showed just what a clever player he is in both goals – chipping exquisitely to the far post for Ben Garrity to tap in before nipping in front of Dwayne Wiley to induce a clumsy challenge for the penalty converted by Mackreth.

Warrington Guardian:

Jack Mackreth converts Town's winner from the penalty spot. Picture by John Hopkins

Those two game-breaking contributions capped a magnificent all-round display from the striker. He may not be getting any younger but he remains integral to this team.

Warrington Guardian:

Only a magnificent save from Matlock keeper Jon Stewart denied Tony Gray the goal his performance deserved. Picture by John Hopkins

This is the kind of territory Yellows tend to thrive in – letting the opposition open up before striking on the counter.

Despite the increased need for Matlock to force the issue, it was their goalkeeper Jon Stewart who was the most occupied as he was forced into several saves to stop Town extending their lead.

While they had plenty of possession, the hosts were not good enough with the ball to break Yellows down and they never looked like doing so.

They may be down to the bare bones in terms of numbers, but confidence is clearly starting to build.

Warrington Guardian:

A gleeful Ben Garrity is congratulated by Scott Sephton. Picture by John Hopkins