PAUL Carden hailed “a fantastic result” for his Warrington Town side as they knocked FC United of Manchester out of the FA Cup.

Skipper Mark Roberts scored the winner as Yellows came from behind to win 2-1 at Broadhurst Park and progress to the third qualifying round.

Not only did it put Town one step closer to the main draw, the victory earned them a valuable £6,750 in prize money.

Warrington Guardian:

Mark Roberts heads in the winner. Picture by John Hopkins

Carden thought the tie “had a bit of everything” but believes his side could – and perhaps should – have killed FC United off earlier and not subject themselves to a late barrage from the desperate hosts.

> TOWN VERDICT: Enthralling and wonderfully open - a proper cup tie

“What a fantastic result – I’ve said before that they are arguably the biggest club in the division,” he said.

“They will attract players because of the facilities they’ve got and rightly so, but it’s a great result and we’re in the hat.

“It must have been good to watch if you weren’t a fan of either team.

“It had a bit of everything – both sides had a couple of chances in the first half.

“We had a couple of good chances in the second half, both keepers have played their part in keeping the score down.

“I thought we deserved to win the game – I thought we were the better team and had more control in the first half.

“The second half was a bit scrappy and there was frustration from both benches really in terms of players not doing what they’re good at.

“We stood strong – the amount of times Tony McMillan came out and was calm and composed when they were bombing balls into our box from all angles was a massive help for us.

“When you resort a side that’s been doing well to launching balls into the box, you’ve done a job.

“Having said that, I thought we should have been out of sight.”

Yellows trailed courtesy of a Regan Linney penalty but were behind for just three minutes as Mitch Duggan crashed in a long-range effort to equalise.

Warrington Guardian:

Mitch Duggan equalises from distance. Picture by John Hopkins

But it was Roberts whose contribution proved decisive as he powered home a far-post header after Ben Garrity had flicked Alex Byrne’s corner into his path.

The sides meet again on Tuesday as the Red Rebels visit Cantilever Park for a BetVictor Northern Premier Division fixture and by then, Town will know their third qualifying round opponents via Monday’s draw.

The only negative from a Warrington point of view was winger Jack Dunn being forced off injured just 15 minutes after coming on as a half-time substitute for his first appearance of the season.

However, Carden is hopeful Dunn’s injury is nothing to be too concerned about.

“Jack’s gone into a block tackle and jarred his knee a little bit. I don’t think there’s anything too serious,” he said.

“He’s had a few knocks and injuries – that’s his first football since pre-season.

“I thought he looked pretty bright when he came on as well. I don’t think it’s too bad.

“He’s more anxious to get himself in a position to sustain games of football. Hopefully he will be alright.”

Full video above