WHILE conscious not to overreact, this is not the start to the new season Warrington Town wanted or expected.

It is game one of 40-odd – there will be chances to put it right – but rarely have so many of this squad been so off their game.

Credit to Morpeth – they were incredibly well-organised and when their chances came, they took them.

Still, they were aided by a Town side that took too long to get the ball into dangerous areas and when defending had to be done, too many things let them down.

> The story of Town's opening-day defeat

Coming off a pre-season that saw them hit 31 goals in eight games, it looked as if the attack was in good shape heading into the new campaign.

Sure enough, most of the first half was spent in the Morpeth half probing for an opening but too often the final ball was missing.

Play seemed congested in the middle third of the field, with Alex Byrne and Dylan Vassallo often coming inside for work.

A bit more width may have stretched an organised Morpeth defence, but having a right-footed left-back in Mitch Duggan gives a natural imbalance.

That is no slight on Duggan, who filled in well for the suspended Louis Barnes, but it was a little too easy for Morpeth to read.

Vassallo came closest early as his bundled effort was smothered by Daniel Lowson in the Morpeth goal before he was forced off injured.

Jack Mackreth came on but Yellows seemed to take their time adjusting to the switch. It proved costly.

The visitors – initially happy to hit on the counter-attack – grew more into the game and when it came, the goal that gave them the lead was a stroke of genius.

Nothing was wrong with Yellows’ defending of a deep free kick as Mark Roberts headed clear, but the quality of the first-time volley from Sean Reid could not be legislated for.

Tony McMillan could do nothing but dive helplessly as the thunderous long-ranger found his corner to put an unexpected slant on Paul Carden’s half-time chat.

Being behind is not unfamiliar to this Town squad so it is not a position that should have fazed them.

However, the reality was they still appeared shell-shocked as they emerged for the second half and Morpeth took advantage.

After Adam Carden scuffed a cross, the Highwaymen swiftly broke through Liam Henderson, whose cross was perfect for Jack Foalle to head back across McMillan and in.

The pattern went back to the familiar – Yellows retaining possession with no real punch – until Ben Garrity saw a rasping drive tipped over.

That proved the cue for Town to up the ante, and their efforts were eventually rewarded through a powerful Mark Roberts header.

Morpeth dropped back, Town pushed on. The tone for the rest of the game was set.

Carden threw caution to the wind, sending on striker Matty Chadwick for defender Dave Raven as they hammered on the door.

Cross after cross came in. Cross after cross was headed away.

It could be said Morpeth deserved their points purely due to their organisation as they turned back continuous yellow waves.

When Ben Harmison bundled home a corner late on to seal victory, their methods were justified. They had officially done a job on their hosts.

For Town, there is much to ponder and not a lot of time with which to do it.