WARRINGTON RUFC first XV play their penultimate league fixture of the season on Saturday.

It will be fifth versus Seventh when Kevin Greaves' side head to West Park looking to build on the 22-8 success at Bolton at the weekend.

Warrington, who are set to finish between fifth and eighth in the Counties 1 ADM Lancashire & Cheshire League, welcomed back stalwarts Matt Rockey, Andy Almond and the long-absent Glen Howson for the Bolton trip.

As Warrington found their feet, it was Bolton who racked up the first score in the fifth minute after a series of strong drives from their forwards.

The front row of Bennett, Tom Green and Chris White, Warrington’s most consistent combination of the season, once again were the foundation of Warrington’s superiority in the scrum.

This predominance often recovered possession from a Bolton feed and gave jack-of-all-trades Josh Riley a comfortable basis for attack on a Warrington feed.

Early in the half one such break from Riley took the ball from the Warrington 22 up to halfway. Support from middle-rower Josh Maskery furthered the gain as far as the Bolton 22.

A quick pick and go from the first support to arrive on the scene may have earned a try, but Warrington opted for slower but more secure possession and the opportunity evaporated.

With just 10 minutes left in the half Warrington emphasised their scrummaging superiority, winning penalties at two successive scrums on the Bolton 5m line.

At the third time of asking, when a penalty try looked as if it might have been a possibility, Riley battled his way to 2m out and the irresistible White completed the job. Rockey converted, 5-7.

Warrington’s lead was short-lived, however, as just before the interval Bolton kicked an easy 3 points when Warrington were penalised for a high tackle just 15m out in front of the posts, 8-7.

Two minutes into the second half a fluent team effort put Warrington back in the lead.

Winger Luke Turner blasted into the Bolton 22 and quick support first from Martin Tierney then from Green both running on to neat reverse passes opened up the way for a try from man-of-the-match Maskery, 8-12.

Next, full-back Max Caldwell was on his way to a touch down after some good handling between forwards and backs when the referee abruptly blew up to award Bolton a yellow card for a deliberate push to the official.

Although this score was not to be, second rower Jim Brazendale cemented Warrington’s lead with a try between the posts, finishing off winger Turner’s considerable yards. Kevin McCombie converted, 8-19.

Rockey then added a penalty but Caldwell was again denied a score as a pass to him in the open was deliberately knocked on, earning Bolton a second yellow card.

With 10 minutes to go, Turner looked to be in for Warrington’s bonus-point try but could not secure the pass.

Bolton hacked on up to Warrington’s 5m line to win a scrum. Warrington’s advantage in this department, however, had now been annulled by the adoption of uncontested scrums. Although guaranteed possession for this and two subsequent set pieces, Bolton could not prevail against a well-marshalled Warrington defence.

Greaves said: “ I was obviously happy with the win which was down to our steady defence. I was particularly pleased with the last few 5m scrums which are extremely difficult to defend when you can exert no pressure from the pack.”