LYMM closed the gap on leaders Blackburn to two points as they clocked up a 79-21 home win against Kendal.

They were 21-0 ahead inside 10 minutes but the Cumbrians responded to trail 31-21 at the break but were then kept scoreless in the second half.

Despite the high score, Lymm director of rugby Adam Fletcher expects better from his side.

“To score 79 points is very pleasing but the scoreline doesn’t show the true reflection of the game,” he said after the RFU Regional 1 North West League encounter.

“We were brilliant in the first 15 and the last 15 but for the remainder of the match our basic skills and concentration were not on point.

“Kendal played well and put us under some real pressure. Our try on the stroke of half-time was needed and probably changed the momentum of the game.

“Another five points in the bag. Bring on next week.”

Lymm welcomed back skipper James Yates to the fray, having had three months on the sidelines due to concussion.

The only other change saw the return of Kieran O’Callaghan to the bench and a first start at prop for Samir Tahraoui.

Gavin Woods made his 100th appearance for Lymm, a great achievement for a player who it is reckoned has notched up more than 500 senior appearances for various north west clubs over his career.

It finished 13 tries to three, with the first Lymm player crossing the line with barely a minute gone.

Nathan Beesley intercepted and crossed the whitewash, with Cormac Nolan adding the first of his extras.

Beesley soon added a second and another Lymm breakout ended with James Kimber going over.

Lymm became loose and over ambitious, gifting Kendal two quick tries for 21-14 with barely 15 minutes on the clock.

The game settled down into an even contest and following a line-out and rolling maul hooker Rob Makin emerged with the ball over the line to secure the bonus point, 26-14.

Kendal were not about to lie down and after Olli Higginson received a yellow card in a desperate defensive effort Kendal went over for a converted try.

Nerves were put more at ease on the stroke of half-time when Sam Dickenson went over for Lymm from a well worked lineout.

The first 10 minutes of the second half were even, with Lymm’s poor kicking encouraging Kendal to run back at them, which they did with great enthusiasm.

The next score would be important and luckily it went to Lymm, with a slightly fortuitous interception finding its way eventually to Tahraoui, who crashed over.

Lymm went over again soon after with a trademark blind-side lineout move seeing Higginson set up Makin to go over for his second, giving the hosts some breathing space at 41-21.

With 20 minutes to go the floodgates opened.

Rorio Zheng came off the bench and set up Ali Sutherland to cross.

Morris started to dominate proceedings with both boot and ball in hand, going over himself via a quick tap penalty.

The industrious Harry Martin touched down to move the score on to 60-21.

The last 10 minutes was the Paddy Jennings show, with Kendal unable to cope with his bullocking runs.

He scored twice himself and created another for Morris to finish the match with a flourish.

Lymm scored nearly 50 unanswered points in the second half and ultimately their speed, skill and athleticism proved too much.

A trip to Kirby Lonsdale is next up for Lymm.

Lymm: Gav Woods, Rob Makin, Samir Tahraoui, Joe Watson, Sam Dickenson, Harry Martin, Ali Sutherland, Oli Higginson, Cal Morris, Tom Shard, Paddy Jennings, Scott Redfern, James Kimber, Nathan Beesley, Cormac Nolan. Replacements: Kieron O’Callaghan, James Yates, Rorio Zheng.