WARRINGTON Town are through to the Northern Premier League Premier Division play-off final.

Goalkeeper Dan Atherton was the hero as Yellows won on a penalty shoot-out, saving Jordan Hunter's spot kick to seal a 6-5 victory having earlier kept out Will Jenkins' effort.

Warrington Guardian:

Dan Atherton celebrates keeping out Jordan Hunter's penalty. Picture by Kev Wilson

They now advance to the final where they will travel to Scarborough Athletic on Monday.

A gripping game finished 1-1 after extra time, with the sides unable to be separated after an absorbing encounter.

Jordan Buckley's goal 10 minutes into the second half grabbed a deserved equaliser Darius Osei put South Shields ahead at the break.

Listen to Warrington Town manager Mark Beesley's post-match reaction below

Read sports reporter Matt Turner's verdict on the game below

A ROLLERCOASTER season has just hit a new peak – and it could go higher still.

Not many would have called this result before kick off, with the odds stacked against Warrington Town having given themselves the toughest possible route through the play-offs.

After a fearless, near-perfect display on Tyneside, however, they will believe that this is their time to take that next step.

Everything about South Shields is geared to go higher up the pyramid – an improving ground, full-time status and a Premier League legend in Kevin Phillips in the dug-out – but as they did three years ago, they found their Kryptonite in the shape of a team from our corner of Cheshire.

Losing out via the lottery of a penalty shoot-out would have been cruel on either side after 120 minutes of gruelling, absorbing action – this truly was an excellent advert for Northern Premier League football.

Warrington Guardian:

Mitch Duggan celebrates the win. Picture by Kev Wilson

In truth, though, it would have been harsher on Yellows who deserved to win the tie on the balance of play.

From half-time onwards, they largely bossed proceedings with a display filled with discipline that showed manager Mark Beesley’s tactical acumen.

He has been criticised at times for showing a tendency to tinker with formations to match the opposition and he did so again here, switching to a back three and employing Jordan Buckley and Josh Amis together up front.

Warrington Guardian:

Jordan Buckley came in to start the game and scored his 19th goal of the season. Picture by Kev Wilson

However, this was nothing less than a masterstroke as for the most part, Town nullified the hosts’ considerable threat after conceding first and carried the greater menace at the other end.

After Jordan Buckley had equalised – the highlight of a display that showed signs of him at his razor-sharp best – it was the visitors who had the clearer openings, particularly when Sean Williams’ free kick rattled the inside of the post.

Their game management was exemplary as legs grew tired and when needed, Dan Atherton stepped forward to be the hero.

Warrington Guardian:

Mark Roberts clears the danger. Picture by Kev Wilson

Even before his brace of penalty saves to win the shoot-out, his reflex stop to deny Darius Osei a second goal as extra time drew to a close was stunning.

Belief will be sky high but now, they must bring themselves back down to earth ready to do it all again at Scarborough Athletic on Monday.

Another long trip against a side that owns two convincing victories over them this season, but who could possibly bet against this group now?