WARRINGTON Town rounded off 2021 with a come-from-behind victory at neighbours Witton Albion.

Jay Harris scored twice for Yellows - his first goals for the club - as Town picked up their first away win under Mark Beesley and jump back into the play-off spots.

The hosts had taken an early lead through James Lawrie, but Harris' first goal put the visitors ahead at the break after Josh Amis had equalised.

Sean Williams also converted a penalty for Yellows.

Listen to post-match reaction from Yellows boss Mark Beesley below

Check out sports reporter Matt Turner's post-match verdict below

BY hook or by crook, this was a game Warrington Town simply had to win.

The performance did not matter so much so long as they made the short journey back from Northwich with all three points.

With the run of fixtures Yellows have coming up on the other side of the new year, going into it with some kind of momentum was crucial.

They delivered. It wasn’t pretty at times – particularly in the first half – but this was an ultimately impressive victory.

Upon falling behind early to a goal keeper Dan Atherton will be disappointed to have let slip through his gloves via the boot of James Lawrie, ghosts of their loss to Scarborough last time out will have been floating around.

They had not come from behind to win a game this season, but today they changed that emphatically even if they were slightly fortunate to go into the break ahead thanks to goals from Josh Amis and Jay Harris that would fall into the scruffy category.

Witton’s month-long break from fixtures was appearing to help them – they snapped into challenges, were first to second balls and looked lively going forward.

Matt Regan looked vulnerable – on a yellow card and with former Town man Jawad Jebrin unleashing his trickery upon him – while defending from set-pieces looked suspect.

After the break, though, all of that changed.

Buoyed by their half-time lead, they stepped up a gear and the hosts struggled to regain a foothold.

Mitch Duggan, who replaced Regan at left-back at half-time, kept Jebrin quiet while the midfield trio of Harris, Sean Williams and Bohan Dixon grabbed control.

The utilisation of Harris in a more advanced role proved a masterstroke from Mark Beesley as his energy made a massive difference.

While his first goal owed a lot to some suspect goalkeeping from home custodian Greg Hall, his second was exquisitely taken, as was Williams’ penalty after he had been bundled over clumsily by Rob Hopley.

Things were controlled and efficient and eventually, it told in the scoreline.

With promotion rivals lying in wait in a hellishly tough January schedule, Town will need all the form and confidence they can get.