WARRINGTON Rylands' six-match unbeaten league run is at an end.

They were beaten 2-0 at neighbours Runcorn Linnets, who went above them in the NPL West Division table.

Two first-half goals did the job, with Thomas Marsh-Hughes and Lewis Doyle on the scoresheet for the hosts.

Here's Garry Clarke's full verdict on the game


TWO first-half goals settled this Cheshire derby in favour of Runcorn Linnets, who leapfrogged Warrington Rylands in the NPL West table as Blues’ six-game unbeaten run came to a disappointing end.

Rylands dominated the opening exchanges of a scrappy game without really exerting any pressure on the Runcorn goal, although their goalkeeper Joe Young had to dive to his right to parry away a Joe Coveney shot in the 16th minute.

Runcorn took the lead somewhat against the run of play in the 24th minute.

After winning the ball off a Rylands defender, Ryan Brooke swung in a cross from the right wing who which was met by Lloyd Marsh-Hughes, who guided his glancing header into the bottom corner of the net.

The home side now started to get on top and Rylands goalkeeper Graeme McCall had to make a great save to keep out a diving header from Brooke.

Runcorn doubled their advantage just before half time – Lewis Doyle blasted the ball through a packed area into the roof of the net after Rylands had not adequately cleared a free kick.

After a half-time ear-bashing from manager Dave McNabb, Rylands rallied after the break but couldn't find a way past a resolute Runcorn outfit that used their experience to manage the game.

Although they were indebted to their keeper, who pulled off several top-class saves before they could claim the points.

Confidently dealing with crosses and corners played into his area, Young produced excellent saves to keep out efforts from Kane Drummond, Andy Scarisbrick and Declan Walker while several other attempts were blocked by desperate defenders or were just off target.

Rylands’ best chance fell to Joe Bunney on the hour mark when Drummond fired a cross across the face of goal, with Young beaten he stabbed the ball agonisingly inches wide from close range.

Rylands had to be careful not to be caught on the break by the home side, with McCall saving well to keep out a shot from former Rylands player Stuart Crilly while Murray dragged his shot wide with only the keeper to beat.

In the dying minutes Rylands forced a series of corners, from one of which Scarisbrick thundered a header against the crossbar, the ball rebounding to safety seemed to sum up Rylands day.