WARRINGTON Rylands stormed up to second in the Northern Premier League West Division table by hammering Prescot Cables at Gorsey Lane.

Joe Coveney starred with a hat-trick as the strugglers were battered by Dave McNabb's men while Declan Walker also added two goals, one of which came from the penalty spot.

New striker Akeel Francis, whose signing from National League North side Bradford Park Avenue was announced pre-match, marked his debut with a goal while Rick Smith was also on the scoresheet for Blues.

Former Rylands striker Lewis Buckley was on target for Cables, for whom Lewis Boyle was also on the scoresheet.

Check out manager Dave McNabb's post-match thoughts below

Read Garry Clarke's full match report below

AFTER two disappointing draws, Warrington Rylands extended their unbeaten run to six games, returning to winning ways by emphatically beating struggling Prescot Cables 7-2 to move back up to 2nd in the table.

Although Rylands made a good start to the game, Prescot had the better of the chances in the opening minutes – goalkeeper Graeme McCall was forced to save bravely at the feet of Dale Jennings as the Prescot man raced onto a through ball in the eighth minute.

Two minutes later, McCall is in action again with a brilliant double save to first deny Jennings and then Lewis Buckley from the rebound.

Rylands took the lead in the 20th minute when Rick Smith headed home from close range after Prescot had only half-cleared a corner, allowing Callum Dolan to return the ball into the danger area.

Four minutes later, a sweeping move in which a diagonal cross-field pass from Joe Bunney found Declan Walker, who turned the ball inside first time where Joe Coveney got in front of the defence to stab the ball home from close range.

Prescot goalkeeper Mitchell Allen pulled off two good saves to deny Dolan but handed new signing Akeel Francis a debut goal in the 33rd minute.

Allen spilled Walker’s cross, allowing Jack Tinning to chip the ball into the centre of the goal for Francis to head home from close range.

Despite Rylands controlling the game, Prescot pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time when former Blues player Buckley blocked an attempted clearance by McCall and the ball rebounded into Rylands’ goal.

With their confidence boosted by Buckley’s goal, Prescot started the second half on top but could not break down a strong home defence and fell further behind on the hour mark when Declan Walker smashed the ball past Allen from the penalty spot after the Prescot keeper had brought down Kane Drummond.

Prescot hit back straight from the kick off as substitute Lloyd Dean bundled the ball into Rylands’ net.

Rylands kept opening up a ragged Cables defence but did not find the back of the net again until the 70th minute when Walker ran onto a pass and drove the ball low and hard past a helpless Allen.

Three minutes later, Coveney netted his second goal from a Walker corner. Initially denied by a great save from Allen who kept his header out, Coveney reacted first to prod the ball over the line.

Coveney completed his hat trick seven minutes later – Owen Robinson clipped the ball into the box, Drummond knocked it back to Coveney who coolly shot through a crowded area into the roof of the net.

Rylands continued attacking and in the closing minutes – Francis stung Allen’s hand with a rasping drive which he did well to palm over the bar and Adam Buxton curled a shot inches over the angle of the goal frame.