Following yesterday’s NRL Grand Final, our resident statistician ‘Stanski’ takes a look at former Warrington players who have graced such a stage in the past…

CONGRATULATIONS to Penrith Panthers on winning this year’s Australian NRL Grand Final beating South Sydney 14-12, that took place at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium because of Covid-19 lockdown in New South Wales.

No former Warrington players played in this game, but they have distinguished themselves in the past!

Not an early Bath!

The ‘Old Fox’ Harry Bath had returned to Australia in 1957 after a distinguished career with Warrington, including captaining them to a 19-0 1950 Challenge Cup victory over neighbours Widnes.

In 1959, at the age of 34 and playing prop forward for St. George, he and his forwards kept ‘testing’ out Manly forward Rex Mossop throughout the game, as rumours had been circulating that Mossop was carrying a broken cheekbone.

The frustration finally boiled over and he retaliated by standing on Bath’s head! A brawl broke out between the two of them, with referee Lawler sending the pair off.

Harry had the last laugh though as he got a winners medal, with St George winning 20-0 in what would be his last game!

Harry Bath lifts the Challenge Cup in 1950

Harry Bath lifts the Challenge Cup in 1950

When the going gets tough, the tough get going

The toughest, dirtiest Grand Final took place in 1973 between Manly and Cronulla – one scribe wrote ‘the fare served up in the first half belonged in the Colosseum’.

However, standing out above it all was a player born in Stockton Heath in the centre that day for Manly, Bobby Fulton.

A football genius, he had guested for Warrington four years earlier. Here in the Final, he showed his power and pace with a try in each half to win man of the match and help Manly win the game 10-7.

Stockton Heath-born Bob Fulton leads a touring Australian side out at Wilderspool in 1978

Stockton Heath-born Bob Fulton leads a touring Australian side out at Wilderspool in 1978

From zero to hero

Steve Jackson…Steve who?

Steve Jackson had come from Australia in 1987 with his brother Mark to play for Warrington.

Both played in the Warrington ‘A’ team, and Mark even managed to make 3 sub appearances for the first team, but that was that…back to Australia, back into obscurity…or so we thought.

Fast forward two years and Steve was substitute forward for Canberra Raiders in their Grand Final quest against Balmain.

A tremendous game ensued that ended 14 all, and so to 20 minutes of extra time.

Stand-off Chris O’Sullivan, (who would be a Regal Trophy winner for Warrington in 1991) dropped a goal to put Canberra one point ahead.

Minutes from time came Steve Jackson’s moment of glory. Receiving a pass 15 metres from the line, he beat two men and then carried a further three forward showing remarkable strength.

As he was being brought down, he reached out to plonk the ball one-handed on the line.

The try sealed victory, the 19-14 score line was enough to get Canberra their first ever Premiership as they became the first non-Sydney to win it.


The Clive Churchill Medal is the award given to the player judged to be man-of-the-match in the Grand Final.

The award was created to honour Clive Churchill, one of the greatest rugby league players in Australian history, following his death in 1985.

Three Australian legends have won this award who subsequently played for Warrington during their career.

Allan Langer (1992)

The scrum-half was captain of Brisbane Broncos in their 28-8 win over St. George. Alfie scored two tries that day and became the first Queenslander to get the award.

Allan Langer during his spell with Warrington. Picture by Mike Boden

Allan Langer during his spell with Warrington. Picture by Mike Boden

Andrew Johns (2001)

Another scrum-half and captain, this time for Newcastle Knights. He kicked five goals as they beat Parramatta Eels 30-24.

Andrew Johns. Picture by Mike Boden

Andrew Johns. Picture by Mike Boden

Greg Inglis (2007)

Inglis was at stand-off for Melbourne Storm when they hammered Manly 34-8.

He scored a try in each half that would be trademarks, the first one barging in from close range, the second a stunning run down the side line and a crunching hand-off to a defender.

Greg Inglis' return to rugby league with Warrington Wolves was a brief one, lasting just three appearances. Picture by Mike Boden