WARRINGTON Town came within seconds of ending Buxton's unbeaten start to the Northern Premier League campaign.

The visitors snatched a 96th-minute equaliser as a shot from a free kick was deflected beyond his own keeper by Mitch Duggan.

Earlier, Jordan Buckley had scored at the start of either half to twice give Paul Carden's side the lead, with Jamie Ward levelling for Buxton just before half time.

Listen to the post-match thoughts of Warrington Town boss Paul Carden here

Here's Guardian sports reporter Matt Turner's view on proceedings...


THE most heart-breaking of ends to a contest that promised so much for Warrington Town.

For they were seconds away from ending the unbeaten record of big-spending Buxton and riding off with a win that would have only served to give their burgeoning momentum a further shot in the arm.

The way in which it was snatched away from them – a scruffy shot deflected past his own goalkeeper by Mitch Duggan with the game’s final kick – makes it even more galling.

Still, Yellows should never have been in that kind of position given the number of chances they had to kill the game off.

The platform given to them by two superb Jordan Buckley goals ought to have been stronger, but they were profligate and the visitors made them pay.

Warrington Guardian:

Jordan Buckley celebrates his second goal. Picture by Lewis Tate

The goals capped off a stunning centre forward’s display from Buckley, although he will be devastated not to have finished a simple, close-in effort that would have seen him leave with the match ball and his team with three points.

His pace and power gave visiting central defenders Josh Granite and Ben Middleton nightmares and both successful finishes were that of a striker oozing confidence.

Buckley’s second goal, scored shortly after half time, allowed manager Paul Carden’s roll of the tactical dice to take hold.

Having started with a three-man defence, Town switched to a back four after the break and looked far more comfortable.

Buxton’s crisp passing and intense pressing saw them have the better of things in the first half after Buckley’s opener, with Jamie Ward’s equaliser deserved when it came.

However, it is to Town’s credit that for all their possession and fancy football, they did not make much of a dent in the second period until their fortunate late leveller.

While the way in which two points were snatched away will no doubt sting, Yellows have demonstrated they can more than compete with one of this division’s big guns.