WARRINGTON Town slipped to their first home loss of the new season in their first game of a busy Bank Holiday weekend.

Paul Carden's side were well beaten by Matlock Town at Cantilever Park, with a goal in either half putting paid to their challenge.

Jesurun Uchebeulam put the visitors ahead on the stroke of half time, bundling through several challenges before finishing low beyond Dan Atherton in the Yellows goal.

The hosts rarely threatened to pull the deficit back and the Gladiators extended their lead on the break, with Callum Chippendale squeezing a shot in at Atherton's near post.

Listen to post-match reaction from Yellows boss Paul Carden here

Here's Guardian sports reporter Matt Turner's full verdict on proceedings...

BAD days at the office happen, but Warrington Town will hope there are not too many more as poor as this.

For those who ventured up to Scarborough Athletic to see Yellows beaten 2-0, this was a concerning throwback.

If the win over Atherton Collieries on Tuesday was a step forward for Paul Carden’s men, this was a depressing hop in the wrong direction.

Credit has to go to Matlock – once Jesurun Uchebeulam had given them the lead on the stroke of half time, they protected that lead expertly and were utterly comfortable.

Indeed, they did not allow Warrington the luxury even of a shot on target.

It is a bit of a sad indictment of Town’s forward players that the most threatening forays into Matlock territory came from Mitch Duggan and Matt Regan – once again playing as part of a three-man defence.

While that system looked promising in midweek, the visitors countered it perfectly as Uchebeulam and strike partner Jerome Greaves kept the defenders occupied.

Wing-backs James Baillie and Eddie Clarke did not affect the game in an attacking sense as too often, Yellows tried to go through a congested midfield area and came up short.

Up front, Josh Amis thrives on physically dominating his markers but it is rare that he loses a tussle in as convincing a fashion as he did today.

Matlock defenders Ryan Qualter, Jamie Sharman and Sam Egerton shackled the Town frontman, meaning he cut an isolated and frustrated figure.

The worst thing? The entirely avoidable nature of both goals.

Uchebeulam should have been stopped as he bundled through several soft challenges to work his way into a shooting position while Callum Chippendale’s second on the break came as a sucker punch just as Town were starting to build momentum.

Dan Atherton has been colossal between the posts for Carden’s men this season, but a goalkeeper of his standard will be bitterly disappointed at allowing Chippendale’s effort to squeeze past him at the near post.

To add to their misery, Yellows also lost Jack Mackreth to a hamstring injury which may keep him out for some time – a big blow to their already stretched squad.

The positives? New signing Jay Harris enjoyed a cameo of some promise. He and fellow new addition Luke Griffiths will add more control and bite to the Town midfield when available.

Unfortunately though, this was an afternoon with very little to smile about.