NOW that is more like it!

A 24-8 win against Catalans Dragons in Perpignan is a quality result any Super League team would be proud of.

And especially as the French outfit, who Warrington Wolves meet again in the Challenge Cup quarter-finals on May 7, were unbeaten and slamming home 30-plus points per game until The Wire flew into town on Saturday.

Warrington Guardian:

All pictures by Laurent Selles/Catalan Dragons/

It was not a perfect performance by Steve Price’s men, but there was much to be pleased about in what was a pleasant surprise for many followers after an unconvincing start to the season.

Attitude was great, spirit was in abundance, and they looked organised and together with the game plan and goals, all achieved despite marquee man Blake Austin being dropped and left at home.

Warrington Guardian:

Instead Price moved Stefan Ratchford into the halves and brought Matty Ashton in at full-back, with both proving to be effective especially in a committed defensive effort.

The Wire put themselves under pressure in the opening 30 minutes due to too much lost possession and conceding repeat sets but they handled everything thrown at them, especially in snuffing out the threat of dangerous full-back Sam Tomkins out wide when he decided to chip in.

Warrington Guardian:

During this time the only try Catalans scored was a gift when the otherwise impressive Toby King slipped out an offload 10 metres from his own line that Ben Currie could not catch and James Maloney swooped for the easiest try of his career, adding the conversion to go with his earlier penalty.

And that was the end of Catalans’ scoring.

The hosts, after all their possession, would have been sickened to concede twice in four minutes in the closing stages of the first half.

Warrington Guardian:

They were typical Warrington scores, Daryl Clark superbly scooting away from dummy half and Currie finishing off the 70-metre score after positioning himself brilliantly in support; and then King plucking a Gareth Widdop kick out of the air to ensure The Wire turned around in front.

When Jake Mamo went 90 metres after intercepting Tomkins’ pass two minutes into the second half The Wire were well in control and worked hard to stay that way in the hot and breezy conditions.

Widdop wrong-footed Tomkins to seal the outcome and cap a classy display of playmaking.

Warrington Guardian:


- Wire flew in and out of France for the game on the same day, returning home to enter into five days of quarantine due to the coronavirus pandemic

- Warrington's first away win against Catalans Dragons since 2018

- Sixth try in five games from Toby King


Super League, Round Four

Saturday, April 24, 2021

Catalans Dragons...8 Warrington Wolves...24

Dragons: Sam Tomkins; Tom Davies, Samisoni Langi, Dean Whare, Fouad Whare; James Maloney, Josh Drinkwater; Gil Dudson, Alrix Da Costa, Julian Bousquet, Matt Whitley, Mike McMeeken, Ben Garcia. Subs: Micky McIlorum, Paul Seguier, Jason Baitieri, Sam Kasiano

Wolves: Matty Ashton; Josh Thewlis, Jake Mamo, Toby King, Josh Charnley; Stefan Ratchford, Gareth Widdop; Chris Hill, Daryl Clark, Mike Cooper, Jack Hughes, Ben Currie, Matt Davis. Subs: Jason Clark, Joe Philbin, Rob Mulhern, Danny Walker

Scoring: Maloney penalty goal, 10mins, 2-0; Maloney try, 27mins, Maloney goal, 8-0; Currie try, 33mins, Ratchford goal, 8-6; King try, 38mins, Ratchford goal, 8-12; Mamo try, 42mins; Ratchford goal, 8-18; Widdop try, 66mins, Ratchford goal, 8-24

Penalties: Dragons 4 Wolves 7

Referee: Liam Moore

Top man: HERE