KANE Drummond will certainly never forget his 20th birthday.

From the euphoric high of scoring inside the first minute to the crushing low of being sent off shortly afterwards - forced to watch on as his Warrington Rylands teammates battled on in his absence.

Battle on they did and their reward was equalling their previous best in the FA Vase of reaching the last 32.

Wembley may still be on the distant horizon, but it has moved a step closer following a display of discipline, organisation and concentration.

For 30 arduous minutes, they hung on as Longridge Town hunted the one goal they needed to force a penalty shoot-out.

It never came and after coming through such a tribulation, Blues may feel the stars are aligning for them.

> Reaction from Blues boss Dave McNabb here

When Drummond slotted home Joe Coveney's cut-back before the visitors had so much as touched the ball, there seemed little indication of the drama that was to follow.

Warrington Guardian:

Kane Drummond scores the opening goal. Picture by Mark Percy

However, he then put his side in serious trouble.

There seemed to be little in the coming-together Drummond had with Longridge's Ben Fletcher, but referee Shaun Taylor deemed the Blues winger to have used language worthy of a red card.

As a result, Rylands had 83 minutes to hold on with 10 men against one of the North West Counties League's best passing sides.

For all of their possession, however, the Lancashire side failed to force home custodian Graeme McCall into serious work.

Ahead of him, Warren Gerrard and Joe Denman were colossal in defence while Coveney provided a classy and composed midfield shield.

If anything, the more likely development seemed to be the 10 men adding to their lead and Longridge did not heed the warning to keep the back door closed.

They made the mistake of allowing Ste Milne to shift the ball onto his right foot inside the area and were punished to maximum effect.

Warrington Guardian:

Ste Milne doubles Rylands' lead. Picture by Mark Percy

With a two-goal cushion, they could protect that goal with more comfort - or so they thought.

The defence that had been so regimented and unstinting showed a slight lapse just shy of the hour mark and Paul Turner took full advantage.

The lethal Longridge striker was left free at the far post to nod home a cross and Gorsey Lane was plunged into a sea of nerves.

Blues dropped deeper and deeper as the visitors monopolised possession once again.

Striker Elliot Nevitt had been giving them an out ball with his ability to hold up the ball, but once he was withdrawn it kept coming straight back.

Once again, though, McCall was not called into serious action as his defence headed and blocked everything that came their way.

Opposite number Lee Dovey was actually busier, producing a superb save to deny Andy Scarisbrick on the counter-attack.

After half an hour that felt like half a day, the full time whistle brought a joyful combination of relief and euphoria.

Belief will be growing that they can go further still and after this display, they will feel invincible.

Warrington Guardian:

Joyful scenes at full-time. Picture by Mark Percy