STEVE Price admitted some of Warrington Wolves’ play was “scrappy” and that their execution still needs work following the clash with Leeds Rhinos.

However, he is happy to have come away with the end result of a 32-6 victory over a much-changed Rhinos side.

The youthful visitors were more than a match for a much more experienced Wire side for most of the game, with three tries in the final 20 minutes adding gloss to the scoreline.

Matty Ashton scored twice while the impressive Toby King notched a try and two assists on his 100th appearance for the club.

Warrington Guardian:

Matty Ashton crosses for his first try. Picture by Mike Boden

Ben Currie and Daryl Clark also crossed, but Price knows there is still plenty to do.

“At the end of the day, it was about delivering on the standards we set ourselves,” he said.

“We were scrappy at times but we got the end result and the scoreline reflected that.

“I thought we had a high level of intensity and intent to start the game and we got the try from the cross-kick from Dec to Toby.

“We were a bit upside-down after that. We were thinking pass before run and that bit us in the backside.”

The Wire had got off to the perfect start, with King showing his aerial ability to pluck Dec Patton’s kick from the sky to score the opening try after just five minutes.

Warrington Guardian:

Toby King catches Declan Patton's kick to score the opening try. Picture by Mike Boden

VOTE: Choose your Wire man of the match from win over Leeds

For the remainder of the first half, though, they were laboured against an enthusiastic Rhinos side who equalised through Sam Walters’ try.

Wolves were hanging on at times, especially when Sitaleki Akauola was sin-binned for a dangerous tackle, but shipped no further points.

Price says he instructed his side to simplify their game after the break after too many offloads went to ground.

“We came up with errors back-to-back, one with a strip and we got bogged down on our tryline,” he said.

“Ill-discipline kicked in and we got pegged to 6-6.

“We found a way to hang in there and we found it tough when Sitaleki was sin-binned.

“We told them to think “run first, pass second” at half time and opportunities would present themselves.

“We set high expectations here and our execution still needs to get better. We fully understand that.

“As we built into the game, the floodgates started to open and points started to present themselves.”

Daryl Clark helped change the momentum in Warrington’s favour after coming off the bench to replace starting hooker Danny Walker.

Warrington Guardian:

Daryl Clark darts for the line. Picture by Mike Boden

He took advantage of a tiring Rhinos rearguard to regularly march then backwards, with his display capped by a late try.

“I thought he was big in that second half,” Price said of his star number nine.

“He was very dynamic coming out of dummy-half and he brought a lot of energy for us.

“I thought Toby King really stood up for us, Matty Davis did a lot of dirty work for us as well.”