WHAT a weekend for Grappenhall Cricket Club.

It may have been a shortened 2020 season due to the coronavirus pandemic, but they ensured it was a memorable one as both the firsts and seconds secured their league titles.

Although there is no promotion and relegation this season, it stands both sides in good stead for a theoretical return to normal service in 2021.

Warrington Guardian:

First team captain Sam Guest, left, and seconds skipper Mike Holden with their trophies

The firsts knew one victory from their T20 double header with Brooklands on Saturday was likely to have been enough to reach finals day the following day.

After losing the first game by nine runs, the pressure was on the second outing but they rose to the occasion.

They dismissed Brooklands for 89, with skipper Sam Guest and Adam Roylance taking three wickets each, and although they lost early wickets in reply, Grant Hodnett (42) and Arthur Pennington (36) helped them coast to a six-wicket win.

Onto finals day they went and facing another double header against Urmston, this time they won both games to ensure the trophy came home to Broad Lane.

Richard Green smashed 65 as Grappers posted an imposing 150-5 in the first game – a target Urmston finished 12 runs short of in reply.

The second game was altogether more convincing as the bowlers shared the wickets to bowl Urmston out for just 88.

Hodnett was once again the star with the bat as Grappers coasted home for the loss of just four wickets.

Defeat to Brooklands was immaterial for the seconds, whose perfect record up until then had already secured their progress to a final date with Romiley at Broad Lane.

Grappers bowled first, with Gaz Burns and Ben Clissold picking up two scalps each as Romiley were limited to 146-7 from their 40 overs.

Their reply was not a smooth one, however, and they were eight wickets down but Clissold and Josh Hayes got them over the line for victory.

Warrington Guardian:

Grappenhall's second team

Unfortunately, the thirds could not cap a great weekend as their final game of the season saw them beaten by Alderley Edge.