THIS may well be the last Warrington Wolves game we see for a while.

With the coronavirus pandemic putting paid to more sport around the world by the hour, that possibility is becoming more of a probability.

If that is to be the case, though, what a way to sign off.

With two millstones thrust from around their necks – namely the lack of back-to-back league wins and victories away from home since last June and July respectively – the last remnants of 2019 can now in theory be consigned to history.

VIDEO > Price on the moment he thought changed the game for his side

Warrington Guardian:

Confidence and partnerships took another step forward and while one swallow does not a summer make, the sun is breaking through.

Having demoralised Hull FC with their defence, they were ruthless when heads went down following Gareth Widdop’s early second-half try.

Cues could have gone in the rack with a 20-point lead, but the way they kept their foot to black and white throats is pleasing.

Seven tries scored and a comprehensive win – a fitting reward for the supporters that made the trip over and braved the chilly weather.

Warrington Guardian:

There will be those who point to the dire display from a home side shorn of several key players that was ripe for the picking, but they still needed to be picked.

Besides, for a team that runs as hot and cold as Hull seem to do, the confidence of themselves and the crowd could have been lifted had any one of a number of key moments gone their way.

With the score at 12-0 early in the second half, Carlos Tuimavave intercepted and looked all set to provide the crucial next score – only for Ben Currie to charge back and deny him with an excellent cover tackle.

The hosts also had plenty of possession in Wire territory, aided by an 8-4 penalty count in their favour, but were met by a primrose and blue wall which is getting harder and harder to break down.

Warrington Guardian:

The right edge has been a little unstable at times this year due to personnel changes, but they kept metre-eaters such as Josh Griffin and Josh Jones extremely quiet.

Who knows when the next Wire game will be. Hopefully it will be Sunday but with the situation progressing as rapidly as it is, that cannot be likely.

If and when things do get back underway again, The Wire will hope to pick up from where they have left off.

Warrington Guardian:


. Wire end an eight-match run without a victory away from home stretching back to win at London Broncos last July

. First back-to-back Super League wins since beating Wigan and Catalans in May/June last year.

. Mike Cooper (200) and Ben Murdoch-Masila (100) make landmark Super League appearances

. Anthony Gelling scores first Super League try for Wire


Super League, Round Seven

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Hull FC...4 Warrington Wolves...38

Hull: Jamie Shaul; Mahe Fonua, Carlos Tuimavave, Josh Griffin, Kieran Buchanan; Albert Kelly, Marc Sneyd; Scott Taylor, Danny Houghton, Chris Satae, Jordan Lane, Josh Jones, Josh Bowden. Subs: Brad Fash, Jordan Johnstone, Masi Matongo, Jack Brown

Wolves: Stefan Ratchford; Josh Charnley, Anthony Gelling, Toby King, Tom Lineham; Blake Austin, Gareth Widdop; Chris Hill, Danny Walker, Mike Cooper, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Ben Currie, Jason Clark. Subs: Daryl Clark, Joe Philbin, Jake Mamo, Sitaleki Akauola

Scoring: Austin try, 4mins, Ratchford goal, 0-6; Lineham try, 36mins, Ratchford goal, 0-12; Widdop try, 47mins, 0-16; Gelling try, 56mins, 0-20; Murdoch-Masila try, 58mins, Ratchford goal, 0-26; Widdop try, 68mins, Ratchford goal, 0-32; Austin try, 70mins, Widdop goal, 0-38; Buchanan try, 80mins, 4-38

Penalties: Hull 8 Wolves 4

Referee: Chris Kendall

Attendance: 10,214