WITH just one point in it at half time, Lymm’s clash with Ilkley on Saturday could have gone either way.

However, a blistering second-half showing ensured it was the Beechwood side who claimed a maximum haul, with the visitors heading back to Yorkshire licking their wounds from a 54-18 hammering.

Lymm scored 40 of their points after the break, with blindside flanker James Hadland completing a fine hat-trick of tries.

Oli Higginson, Adam Bray, George Norman and James Kimber also crossed as Lymm ran in six second-half tries while Cormac Nolan was near faultless with the boot, kicking seven conversions in all.

It came after a poor start that saw the hosts go 10-0 down before Hadland and Aaron Rasheed had them just ahead at the break.

“Not the best first half. We lacked intensity in defence and were inaccurate with the ball,” Lymm director of rugby Adam Fletcher said after watching his side snap a three-game losing streak.

“However, a wonderful second half display – scoring 40 points was very impressive.

“We moved the ball well and scored some great tries, with Cormac Nolan producing a near-perfect kicking display.

“It was good to get back to winning ways.”

Lymm visit eighth-place Kirkby Lonsdale – the team directly behind them in the North Premier table – on Saturday.

Lymm: Gavin Woods, Adam Bray, Jordan Widdrington, Aaron Rasheed, James Yates, James Hadland, Matty Connelly, Oli Higginson; Tom Shard, Scott Redfern; George Norman, Steve Pilkington, James Kimber, Nathan Beesley, Cormac Nolan. Subs: James Pitcher, Matty Connelly, Ben Stansfield

Meanwhile, Andy Roberts believes Firwood Waterloo were “a little flattered” by the scoreline they managed to run up against his Warrington side.

Despite matching the promotion candidates for much of the contest, Waterloo’s extra quality told in the end as they completed a 32-10 victory.

Skipper Josh Downes scored right on half time, with Sean Callendar crossing for Warrington’s other try in the second half.

Roberts was happy with some of the rugby his side played but admits they were missing the clinical touch required.

“Waterloo were perhaps a little flattered by the scoreline,” he said.

“We played some good rugby today but were let down in the final phases.

“We are now looking forward to meeting Bowdon next week.”

Eagle will have been happy just to get on the field on Saturday, with their clash with Ellesmere Port at Thornton Road their first game for six weeks.

While the weather may have ravaged their schedule, they stormed to a 61-0 victory once the cobwebs had been dusted off.

The win takes Ste Yates’ side clear at the top of North West Intermediate League Division Four West ahead of a trip to second-place Prenton on Saturday.

Yates commented: “It took the lads a while to get going, but we have trained hard in the weeks without a game and once we got up to speed we worked the tried well.”

Chris Bates crossed for a hat-trick of tries with Ashley Losh, Joe Miller, Martin Young and Kieran Thomas also among the scorers.