ALTHOUGH Thursday's Warrington Wolves win marked almost 100 years since the previous home 'nilling' of St Helens in a league game, The Wire also managed the feat in the 1982 Lancashire Cup Final.

Captain Ken Kelly lifted the trophy after the 16-0 victory over Saints at Central Park, Wigan, on October 23.

The score would have been greater had the usually reliable club record marksman Steve Hesford not left his kicking boots at home, missing seven of his nine attempts.

READ: Wire's history of nilling Saints

Yet the Wire full-back was still named man of the match, partly for his role in the opening two tries scored by wingers Paul Fellows and Mike Kelly to set his team on their way.

Bob Eccles and Ken Kelly bagged the other two tries, which at that time counted as three points each rather than the four-pointers of today.

The final was notable in several ways.

St Helens had hooker Graham Liptrot sent off by referee John Holdsworth for pitching his knees into opposite number Carl Webb in the 64th minute, when The Wire were leading 8-0.

It was the first and only trophy success under coach Kevin Ashcroft. The man he had replaced at the helm a few months earlier, Billy Benyon, was now in charge of Saints.

Eccles' try in the final set a club record, as he became the first Warrington forward to touch down in six successive games.

Warrington's win was considered to have been built on composure.

The Guardian's match report stated: "The key factor in this triumph was the discipline and control instilled in The Wire by coach Kevin Ashcroft.

"Warrington kept cool as Saints threw everything into attack and were content to bide their time.

"And when frustration set in among the St Helens players, leading to the sending off of hooker Graham Liptrot in the second half, Warrington took their chances in brilliant fashion."

Wire team: Steve Hesford; Paul Fellows, Ronnie Duane, John Bevan, Mike Kelly; Paul Cullen, Ken Kelly; Neil Courtney, Carl Webb, Tony Cooke, John Fieldhouse, Bob Eccles, Mike Gregory. Subs: Dave Chisnall (for Cooke, half-time), Derek Finnigan (not used).