THIS was a day for Warrington Town to dig deep and do the necessary.

With barely anything in reserve, massive trust was placed in the first 11 to get the job done.

After a tricky start during which they should have fallen behind – Lee Hughes seeing an effort from point-blank range excellently saved by Tony McMillan – they eventually did so.

With a better quality of final ball, they perhaps would have done so by a wider margin, but they cannot grumble at back-to-back wins.

Warrington Guardian:

Tony Gray missed a decent first-half chance against Mickleover. Picture by John Hopkins

Matty Chadwick, who was playing in a withdrawn role behind Tony Gray, spent the opening half causing utter chaos and it was him that ultimately made the difference with his third goal in as many starts.

No Mickleover defender seemed certain about picking him up and he could – and perhaps should – have ended his half with more than his solitary penalty.

Warrington-born Mickleover keeper Nathan Broome kept him out from the edge of the box before he slid wide having accepted an invitation to run into the box.

Despite those missed opportunities, there never looked any doubt once he put the ball on the spot after Scott Sephton had been felled.

Broome was sent the wrong way and Yellows had the lead they deserved.

Warrington Guardian:

Warrington Guardian:

Warrington Guardian:

Matty Chadwick's winning goal. Pictures by John Hopkins

Now it was about keeping their concentration and nerve – a large part of which was resisting wily veteran Lee Hughes’ attempts to wind them up.

An apparent elbow by the frontman on Mark Roberts incensed the Town players, with referee Michael Herzog and his officials bearing the brunt of their anger as the players left the field.

Warrington Guardian:

Mark Roberts had a running battled with Mickleover forward Lee Hughes. Picture by John Hopkins

Perhaps fortunately, they had the half-time break to cool down and regather their composure although it did not appear to do much good.

Frenetic and end-to-end but lacking in real quality, the second half was threatening to be everything Town did not want it to be.

Warrington Guardian:

Warrington Guardian:

Scott Sephton and Ben Garrity battled well in midfield. Pictures by John Hopkins

Mickleover were only really threatening from set-pieces and Town were getting plenty of space on the counter-attack, but their final ball was not good enough to create any real chances.

Too often they tried to over-complicate things going forward and they left themselves open to a fast finish from their visitors.

Better opposition might have tested them more in the closing stages, but Yellows will happily take the points and clean sheet.