THERE will not have been many who did not see this coming.

Asking a team to play five days after a draining Challenge Cup Final against a team that has had two weeks’ rest is bordering on inhuman.

If the main motivation behind moving this game forward three days was shaking up the play-off race, then mission accomplished. But at what cost?

Where is the consideration for player welfare?

> Price cites player welfare concerns after Salford defeat but remains proud of side

Granted, The Wire did not have to partake in three days of celebrations after winning at Wembley, but how can you expect a team to not honour a first major trophy in seven years?

Warrington Guardian:

It was clear to see from pretty early on that the Warrington tank was close to being empty, especially in attack.

They were disjointed and clunky with ball in hand, but they are the perils of playing with only one recognised half-back.

That sort of strategy will work in some games but not in others. It paid off on Saturday, but it did not at Salford.

That being said, they were in the game until just after half time.

> Tired Wire's defeat to Salford as it happened

Warrington Guardian:

Their superb defending had kept Salford out and the reintroduction of Joe Philbin after a rest had given them a bit of a second wind.

However, once Ian Watson sent Joey Lussick onto the field, the game changed and the hosts stepped up a gear.

It was his spearing break from dummy-half that was the only real time Salford opened Wolves up and it eventually led to Jake Bibby’s try.

> PHOTO GALLERY: Action shots as Salford capitalise on Wire's Wembley hangover

Of Ken Sio’s hat-trick, two came from handling errors from kicks and the other an interception try – all of The Wire’s own doing.

Still, there can be no doubt the Red Devils deserved to win and they are a serious threat to the competition, as Warrington have found out to their cost three times this year.

Even in defeat, they went down swinging and that is probably all most Wire fans would have asked for.

Jason Clark got through an extraordinary amount of defensive work, Danny Walker was lively and deserved his late try and Lama Tasi had probably his best game in a Warrington shirt.

Warrington Guardian:

Still, the salient facts are these – this was a sixth league defeat in succession, an eighth in 10 games and their play-off place is now in further doubt.

From holding a vice-like grip on second spot, it is now doubtful The Wire will even make the top five.

One more win should do it, but time is running out.

Warrington Guardian:


. Sixth defeat in a row for Wire

. Salford beat Warrington for third time this season

. Stefan Ratchford makes 350th career appearance

. Jack Hughes plays 200th Super League game, Jason Clark reaches 200 career matches

. Danny Walker scores his first Warrington try


Super League, Round 27

Thursday, August 29, 2019

Salford Red Devils...22 Warrington Wolves...6

Red Devils: Niall Evalds; Ken Sio, Kris Welham, Jake Bibby, Krisnan Inu; Tui Lolohea, Jackson Hastings; Lee Mossop, Logan Tomkins, Gil Dudson, Josh Jones, Tyrone McCarthy, Greg Burke. Subs: Joey Lussick, Josh Johnson, Adam Walker, Mark Flanagan

Wolves: Stefan Ratchford; Jake Mamo, Luther Burrell, Bryson Goodwin, Tom Lineham; Jack Hughes, Matty Smith; Joe Philbin, Danny Walker, Lama Tasi, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Harvey Livett, Jason Clark. Subs: Daryl Clark, Sitaleki Akauola, Luis Johnson, Ben Westwood

Scoring: Inu penalty, 11mins, 2-0; Sio try, 50mins, 6-0; Sio try, 57mins, 10-0; Bibby try, 60mins, Inu goal, 16-0; Sio try, 63mins, Inu goal, 22-0; Walker try, 79mins, Ratchford goal, 22-6

Penalties: Red Devils 7 Wolves 11

Referee: Chris Kendall

Attendance: 4,879