STEVE Price said Warrington Wolves had enough possession and chances to have beaten Hull FC.

But the problem was his team were not clinical enough against a side they put 63 points past away from home at the end of March.

Both teams were missing players, with Hull’s Lee Radford stating some of his men only found out on the day that they would be playing due to withdrawals.

“You could say it was disappointing,” head coach Price said of the loss.

“We had our chances, got held up over the line three or four times and just couldn't convert into points.

“Well done to Hull, they were gallant, they fought, they scrambled well.

“They were just a bit better than us today."

Price added: “They came with a plan to slow the game down, it was a frustrating game.

“It was a long game, started at 3pm and finished at 5pm.

“But we've got to be better than that, simple as that.

“We've got to be better on our last-play kicks and we've got to be better defensively.”

He did not feel that the below-par execution of his team was necessarily down to Hull’s defence.

“We know what we need to do, it's just a matter of doing it with finer detail and execution at times,” he said.

"As I said, we got over the try line three or four times and could have been better at the end of sets.

"We'll review that and get on to next week now."

The game spilled over several times, with Hull’s Jake Connor spending 10 minutes in the sin bin in the second half but The Wire could not add any points while he was off the field.

Connor claims to have been bitten in the 50th minute and an incident involving Wire scrum half Dec Patton has been placed on report.

Price elected to take Patton off later to change things about in a search to try and win the game.

The Wire then had Sitaleki Akauola on the left wing, Stefan Ratchford in the halves and Bryson Goodwin at full-back.

Price said: “That was what I felt at the time.

“Whether it was right or wrong I'm not sure.

“We had a couple of blokes knocked around at the end. It is what it is."

With having four big forwards on the bench, the loss of Ryan Atkins after 28 minutes with a leg injury meant Jack Hughes played left centre for over 50 minutes.

"It threw us out a little bit losing Ryan,” said Price.

"We had to move Jack Hughes over to the left centre and we didn't anticipate that but that's what happens in this game and you have to overcome obstacles.

"We had enough ball to win that game today.”

He did not feel having four big men on the bench is necessarily a wrong call when it is considered a back could be lost to an injury.

He said: “It's held us in good stead to date.

“We're still in a good position. I didn't see that had an effect."

Price was asked if this performance change his plans for the Wigan game next week.

“No it doesn't,” he said.

“We're sitting second aren't we, I've still got a good football team.

“We had our chances to win the game but we weren't good enough, we weren't clinical enough, didn't execute well enough to win the game.

“Credit to Hull, I thought they scrambled well and they competed on and off the ball really hard.

“We'll get back to working hard, review the game, and on to Anfield next week.”