Woolston Rovers 36 Oldham St Annes 14

NOT even playing more than half of the match with 12 men could stop Woolston Rovers from extending their winning run on Saturday.

Josh Sudlow saw red for dissent before half time at Monk Sports Club with his side 10-4 ahead, but Rovers ensured his absence did not prove costly to remain top of National Conference League Division Three.

Matt Taylor and Lewis Hoarty scored two tries each for Mal Holt’s side, with Ben Dixon adding a try and three conversions.

Justin Becker and Harry Files also got themselves over the whitewash to go with another conversion from Aaron Barber.

Warrington Guardian:

Harry Files scores for Rovers. Picture by Simon Whitehead

“That was another good two points for us against a very physical Oldham side,” head coach Holt said.

“We went down to twelve men before half time, which didn’t help us, but the lads refused to panic and they stuck to the game plan.

“As the game went on, we got stronger despite the numerical disadvantage and scored some very good tries that keeps us at the top of the league.”

Woolston: Aaron Barber; Alex Dunne, Justin Becker, Lewis Hoarty, Wil Maudsley; Theo Holt, Ben Dixon; Sean Withington, Ryan Brown, Dan Fearnley, Danny Griffiths, Matt Taylor, Harry Files. Subs: Simon Bishop, Ben Moore, Alex Smith, Josh Sudlow

Culcheth Eagles 20 Woolston Rovers A 33

A CLASH between Warrington neighbours at Shaw Street went the way of Woolston Rovers A on Saturday.

Niall Toher’s hat-trick proved pivotal for Rovers, for whom Lewis Porter also added two tries and a late drop goal.

Jimmy Evans scored Woolston’s other try, with Liam Sullivan adding four conversions.

“We needed to get back to winning ways after a disappointing period and I thought we thoroughly deserved it,” Rovers A coach Will Chadwick said.

“Our effort and commitment was first class and they got their rewards.

“We had a few late withdrawals that meant we only had 14 men, but each and every one of them played their part.

“It is always nice to win a local derby, but the thing that pleased me the most was the desire and willingness to dig deep when they needed to in order to get the win.”

Culcheth were just two points behind at half time thanks to tries from Luke Jones, Alex Wilde and Sam Purslow while their only second-half score came from Joe Costello. Paul Martin added two goals.