AN incredible season – but a crushing finish.

Thanks to a winner from Michael Gash five minutes from the end of extra time, Warrington Town's bid for promotion to the National League North ended in heartbreak.

They had been just five minutes from victory in normal time after Ben Garrity’s double, but Adam Marriott’s penalty robbed them of that.

Garrity had earlier cancelled out Jordan Richards’ opener, but Town must once again plan for another Evo-Stik Premier Division season.

The hope for Paul Carden, his players and their fans is that the thought of seeing King’s Lynn enjoy a party on their patch will serve as inspiration to ensure this never happens again.

> Re-live the game as it happened

Warrington Guardian:

Alex Whittle contemplates defeat. Picture by Mike Boden

Everything seemed to be stacked against King’s Lynn, but it was them who made the more assured start.

Marriott – their 26-goal leading scorer – volleyed an effort wide early on before having another effort blocked by Mark Roberts.

They were showing no ill-effects of their long journey and they made their good start pay.

Ross Barrows overlapped and his cross was only half-cleared to the edge of the box, from where Richards steered home an excellent opener.

Falling behind is nothing new to Town – they have conceded the opening goal in each of their play-off victories.

This time, however, their response was immediate.

King’s Lynn struggled to clear after Jack Mackreth attacked down the right, with Tony Gray picking up scraps and crossing for Garrity to power home a header.

Warrington Guardian:

Warrington Guardian:

Ben Garrity heads home the equaliser before wheeling away to celebrate. Pictures by Mike Boden

After such a frenetic period, it was perhaps natural for the game to quieten down as it did in the ensuing minutes.

King’s Lynn were arguably the more assured again and were picking up most of the second balls in midfield.

They thought they had a penalty when Marriott went down under a challenge from David Raven, but referee Paul Johnson instead booked the striker for simulation.

As things seemed to be cruising casually towards half time though, Yellows had a big chance.

Dylan Vassallo seized upon a loose ball and fed Mackreth, whose effort was goalbound but kept out by a combination of keeper Alex Street and impressive left-back Frazer Blake-Tracy.

The Linnets again started well after the break – McMillan saved well from Marriott before having his kick charged down by the same player. Thankfully, that dropped wide.

McMillan was more comfortable in dealing with Michael Clunan’s attempted lob as the visitors continued to control proceedings.

However, they were hit by a well-rehearsed move just before the hour mark.

In a carbon-copy of his double against Nantwich in the play-off semi-final, Garrity stole a march on his marker and floated a superb header into the top corner from Dylan Vassallo’s corner.

Warrington Guardian:

Warrington Guardian:

Ben Garrity finds the net with another header to put Yellows ahead. Pictures by Mike Boden

King’s Lynn had to respond but found it difficult against Yellows’ famously belligerent defence.

Instead, Town remained calm and looked the more likely – Josh Amis had a shot deflected into the side netting before Garrity flicked another header wide.

They were comfortably seeing out victory until five minutes from time.

After Gash flicked on, Marriott was bundled over inside the area and referee Paul Johnson pointed to the spot.

Despite the efforts of the home crowd to put him off, Marriott sent McMillan the wrong way to send the tie to a nail-biting period of extra time.

Perhaps naturally, the tempo of the game dropped as both sides started to feel the heat.

However, Yellows still created a big chance to pinch the victory.

Amis was strong and powered into the box, but Street stayed big to save his poked effort that looked destined to ripple the net.

The game seemed destined for penalties as the two sides slugged it out until there was a final, gut-wrenching twist.

Having seen an effort blocked by David Raven, Gash picked up the scraps to curl a superb shot beyond McMillan.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Beeley, Whittle, Garrity, Roberts, Raven, Mackreth (Benjamin), Evans, Gray (Cusani), Dixon (Amis), Vassallo. Subs not used: Duggan, McCarthy