WARRINGTON Wolves head coach Steve Price was confident Castleford Tigers would not be able to complete a comeback against his side at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle on Friday night.

Two tries in five minutes at the start of the second half, registered by Toby King and Ben Currie, moved his side 26-6 in front but Cas rallied with quickfire scores to cut the gap to 12 points with 17 minutes remaining.

> VOTE: Wire man of the match against Cas

Warrington managed to quell the Tigers response from there and see the game out.

Both sides were depleted in the notorious 'fourth game of Easter' that regular trips up teams.

"It’s the fourth game in two weeks and people have to understand it’s a brutal game," said Price.

Warrington Guardian:

Head coach Steve Price keep a close eye on things from pitchside at the Mend-A-Hose Jungle. Picture: Mike Boden

"There hasn’t been any time to be able to plan too much. It’s been all about recovery.

"I’m sure you’ll see a lot of teams go through some flat spots over this weekend.

"We had to absorb a fair amount of pressure just prior to the back end of the game.

"So I was really pleased with the guys to come through the other side and keep Cas to 14 points.

Warrington Guardian:

Steve Price chatting with young Wire hooker Danny Walker pre-match. Picture: Mike Boden

"I felt we were always in control of the game.

"But they got some calls go their way and the crowd got behind them.

"I was proud of the boys to come to this ground and always be in control.

"A couple more tries, two I think, could have put us more ahead but it wasn’t to be.

"I’m really pleased with how the guys have come through after Easter and we’ve got a long turn around now leading into the Wigan game in the Challenge Cup which is handy."

Currie's 45th-minute try proved to be the last Wire scored in the encounter, something few would have expected such was the way the momentum was in his side's favour at that time.

"We expected it to be a hard-earned two points from a side sitting third or fourth in the league," said Currie.

"It was never going to be an easy game, even when we got so many points in front we knew they were going to come back with something.

"So we expected it, we rode the wave and got through it."

Warrington Guardian:

Ben Currie getting close to the try line at Castleford. Picture: Mike Boden

Turning the 14-6 interval lead into a winning one was crucial.

"We spoke at half time that we were probably giving the ball away a little bit too much, giving them chances that we didn’t need to give them," said Currie.

"We knew if we could complete a bit then we could get tries and pull away.

"So we were happy to our start to the second half but we need to make sure it’s the full half next time."

A wonderful try-saving tackle on beefy Cas winger Tuoyo Egodo by Ryan Atkins in the first half was a big moment, especially as The Wire went straight to the other end and grabbed their second try courtesy of King's first of a double.

"I thought Ryan had a big game-changing moment holding up Egodo in the first half," said Price.

"That’s what I expect from my experienced players and he came up with some really good moments throughout the game.

Warrington Guardian:

Wire head coach Steve Price accepts the selfie invite upon arriving at Castleford's Wheldon Road ground. Picture: Mike Boden

"There were a lot of strong performances at what can be a tough place to play.

"I thought our middle foundation at the start of the game laid a good platform for our big boys, Joe Philbin, Sitaleki Akauola and Jase Clark, to come off the interchange bench.

"I’m happy for the boys."

> READ: Price updates us on latest Wire injury news

And he was particularly pleased for winger Jack Johnson, returning to the first team for the first time since the Middle 8s campaign in September, 2018.

He was not named in the 19-man squad but featured on the left wing in place of injured Tom Lineham (knee) after a late call was made to leave Bryson Goodwin (ankle) out of the contest.

Johnson, who suffered a horrendous double leg break in pre-season 2018, had returned to the field over Easter with The Wire's partner club Rochdale Hornets in the Championship.

Price said: "They’re good stories – to snap your tibula, fibula, miss the whole year and come back.

> VIEW: Cas v Wire photo gallery

"He’s only been back three games with Rochdale and I thought he did some really good things for us."

Now Price is pleased to have a nine-day gap between matches, with the next outing being the televised Challenge Cup sixth-round tie at home to Wigan on Sunday, May 12.

“The break has come at a good time and I’m sure a lot of other coaches are saying the same thing too," said Price, who has given his players a couple of days' break off training in order to refresh their bodies.

“We have a long turnaround leading into Wigan and I know what type of team they’re going to be at The Halliwell Jones Stadium, back in Challenge Cup mode.”