AFTER what happened against Salford on Good Friday, The Wire owed their home crowd a performance.

They got one eventually, but for a little while it looked like being a similar story.

This was slightly different – on this occasion Wolves were in control and lost it before forcefully wrestling it back – but for the second home game in a row, the team left the pitch to boos from the stands at half time.

> Price credits "back to basics" approach for second-half fightback

That came as a result of a 10-minute period at the end of the first half in which The Wire had a collective brain explosion.

Defensively, they had been sound for the first half-hour as they continued to turn Huddersfield away, but three tries in six minutes quickly turned a 12-0 lead into a half-time deficit.

Warrington Guardian:

Two of Huddersfield’s tries had an element of controversy about them, but that cannot be used as an excuse. It was the kind of meltdown that would be ruthlessly exploited by the competition’s top sides.

However, the measure of being one of those top sides is the ability to find that extra gear. On this occasion, it was mission accomplished.

Circumstances fell in their favour – the Giants lost Joe Wardle and Matty English to concussions to reduce their ability to rotate – but they ruthlessly took advantage.

From the moment Bryson Goodwin scored just four minutes after the restart, there only looked like being one winner.

Warrington Guardian:

They found control of the ruck hard to come by in the first half, but their forwards suddenly started to find their fronts.

Chris Hill and Mike Cooper led from the front as always while Sitaleki Akauola, Matt Davis and Joe Philbin all added impact from the bench.

Off the back of that, the individual brilliance of Blake Austin and Daryl Clark could shine through.

Austin’s first try was a thing of beauty – a wonderful combination of power and fleet-footedness.

Not for the first time this season, the Australian’s class has dragged The Wire out of a hole.

Warrington Guardian:

A big mention also has to go to Goodwin and Tom Lineham – both of whom played on through injury and looked in considerable pain by the end of the game.

> Update on Goodwin and Lineham injuries

Hopefully they will both be fine to take part in an important trip to Castleford – another game that will pose a different test to their credentials.

They can expect to be asked more questions. Will they come up with the right responses?


. Wire’s fifth consecutive home victory over Huddersfield

. Ben Currie scores first Wire try since Challenge Cup victory over Bradford Bulls last April


Super League, Round 13

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Warrington Wolves...50 Huddersfield Giants...19

Wolves: Stefan Ratchford; Josh Charnley, Toby King, Bryson Goodwin, Tom Lineham; Blake Austin, Dec Patton; Chris Hill, Daryl Clark, Mike Cooper, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Ben Currie, Jack Hughes. Subs: Lama Tasi, Joe Philbin, Sitaleki Akauola, Matt Davis

Giants: Darnell McIntosh; Jermaine McGillvary, Louis Senior, Innes Senior, Akuila Uate; Oliver Russell, Matt Frawley; Paul Clough, Kruise Leeming, Suaia Matagi, Joe Wardle, Alex Mellor, Michael Lawrence. Subs: Adam O'Brien, Aaron Murphy, Matty English, Ukuma Ta'ai

Scoring: Currie try, 4mins, Ratchford goal, 6-0; Hill try, 26mins, Ratchford goal, 12-0; L Senior try, 31mins, Russell goal, 12-6; McIntosh try, 34mins, Russell goal, 12-12; Mellor try, 37mins, Russell goal, 12-18; Russell drop goal, 40mins, 12-19; Goodwin try, 44mins, Ratchford goal, 18-19; Ratchford penalty, 48mins, 20-19; Austin try, 53mins, Ratchford goal, 26-19; Clark try, 57mins, Ratchford goal, 32-19; Austin try 64mins, 36-19; Goodwin try, 72mins, Ratchford goal, 42-19; Murdoch-Masila try, 77mins, Ratchford goal, 48-19; Ratchford penalty, 80mins, 50-19

Penalties: Wolves 11 Giants 4

Referee: Tom Grant

Attendance: 10,445