PAUL Carden said the Easter weekend would decide Warrington Town’s fate – and so it came to pass.

Despite knocking hard on the door, Yellows could not break down resilient neighbours Witton Albion to record the sixth straight win they needed to take the title race into a final day.

Farsley Celtic now only need a point to take the title after beating Whitby Town, while Town will now contest the play-offs once again.

Warrington Guardian:

Yellows found the Witton rearguard too tough to break down. Picture by John Hopkins

Town knew only a win would do but it was evident their last game came only 48 hours earlier.

With only the slimmest of mathematical chances of a play-off place, Witton moved the ball around with plenty of freedom as they edged the possession stakes.

However, there was precious little in the way of goalmouth action from either side.

Rob Hopley and Josh Wardle both cleared the bar for Witton, while Dylan Vassallo trickled a header towards goal that barely reached Greg Hall at the other end.

Just before the break, though, Yellows almost manufactured a breakthrough.

Tony Gray flicked a long ball into the path of Vassallo, but Hall stayed big to deny the Town midfielder one-on-one.

> Carden proud of Yellows effort but slams 'arrogant' ref

Yellows tried to up the tempo but still found chances hard to come by initially, with Gray driving a free kick straight into the wall before having a stinging volley charged down.

The visitors dropped back to protect what they had, seemingly content to return to Northwich with a point.

Bohan Dixon nodded a corner just wide within seconds of coming off the bench before Vassallo turned in the box and forced a save from Hall.

The Albion stopper was required again to keep out a long-ranger from Dixon as Town built momentum, but time was starting to work against them.

Mark Roberts was sent up front, but it was a more frequent source of goals that should have calmed nerves.

Warrington Guardian:

Mark Roberts was sent up front to try and manufacture a late winner for Yellows. Picture by John Hopkins

Marcus Cusani stood up his man and pulled back for an unmarked Tony Gray, who was all alone on the penalty spot but shot high over the bar.

Dixon then sent a diving header high before Hall made his best save of the day – pushing Cusani’s effort over the bar and that proved to be enough to earn a point.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Duggan (McCarthy), Whittle, Garrity, Roberts, Raven, Mackreth (Cusani), Evans, Gray, Vassallo, Dunn (Dixon). Subs not used: Benjamin, Beeley, McCarthy