IT has long been said that all Warrington Town can do is look after their own form.

With this being their fourth victory on the spin, they are certainly doing their bit on that score.

Play-off chasing Scarborough Athletic were seen off by a classic counter-attack in the first half, with Tony Gray doing the damage, before Jack Dunn's late second sank the Seadogs.

While their form may not be enough to catch a relentless Farsley Celtic side at the Evo-Stik Premier Division, South Shields’ draw at home to Basford has at least opened up the chance of finishing second.

At the very least though, they look to be picking up a head of steam ahead of an increasingly likely play-off campaign.

With both sides needing the points for different reasons, it made for a well-contested game of football.

It was the visitors who just about shaded the early exchanges, with James Walshaw forcing Tony McMillan into an early save with a lobbed effort before Ryan Watson’s well-struck volley flew over.

At the other end, the unlikely figure of Dave Raven found himself in the box after marauding forward, but he could not finish off a nice move as he scuffed his effort wide.

Scarborough were just starting to get on top, but were hit by a classic counter-punch.

Dunn scampered up the left wing and kept his composure to pick out an unmarked Gray.

The veteran frontman checked back inside a desperate defender before firing in his 16th goal of the campaign.

Warrington Guardian:

Warrington Guardian:

Tony Gray puts Town in front. Pictures by John Hopkins

There is an adage in football that a team is never more vulnerable than when they have just scored – and that very nearly rang true for Town.

Wayne Brooksby stole the ball from Adam Hughes on the byline and his cross was cleared as far as Michael Coulson, who saw a shot blocked before Walshaw inadvertedly got in the way of the rebound.

Both goalkeepers were then forced into action to keep out efforts from corners – McMillan got down well to stop Ross Killock’s effort before Tommy Taylor denied a sliding Mark Roberts at the other end.

Town started the second half brightly and Gray came close to catching Taylor off-guard and scoring a second, but the keeper just pushed his effort away at the near post after he was found by Josh Amis.

Gray again cut inside and found Taylor’s hands as Yellows started to assert themselves, with space opening up on the counter all the time.

Scarborough changed to a more attacking formation but, like many a side before them, struggled to break down a Yellows rearguard marshalled expertly by Roberts and Raven.

Their play became more ragged and time started to work against them.

Dunn saw an effort deflected agonisingly wide with Taylor rooted from the spot before the resulting corner was headed just over by Ben Garrity.

Town looked the more likely to add a second goal, but the Seadogs did fire a warning shot on the break.

Flynn McNaughton burst through past the challenge of Adam Hughes but McMillan pushed his effort away.

Penalty appeals were waved away as Michael Coulson fell under Garrity’s barge inside the area, but it proved a false alarm and indeed, they got their second in injury time.

A cleverly-worked free kick saw Jack Mackreth hold up play and feed Dunn, whose finish was unerring and confident

Warrington Town: McMillan, Duggan, Hughes, Garrity, Roberts, Raven, Cusani (Mackreth), Evans, Gray (Benjamin), Amis (McCarthy), Dunn. Subs not used: Vassallo, Dixon