MAL Holt is calling on his Woolston Rovers players to be steadier with the ball.

They head to table toppers Waterhead Warriors in National Conference League Division Three, kick-off 2.30pm, looking to bounce back from successive defeats.

“Our defence on the whole has been really good so far but we just need to be a bit more composed when in attack and once we do that then we will be a much harder side to play against,” he said.

Already at this early stage of the season the competitive nature of the division is clear.

“We cannot afford to lose any ground on the teams above us; it is really tight with just four points separating the top nine sides so we know that if we can get a win then we are right back in the mix,” said Holt.

“Waterhead have been on fire so far and will be a tough test but one that we will be looking forward to.”

All involved felt the performance in the 18-10 home loss to Dewsbury Celtic at the weekend was below standard.

“Our defence was good but our attack wasn’t clinical enough,” said Holt.

“We spent a lot of time in the Dewsbury half and came away time after time with nothing.

“We can’t take anything away from Dewsbury as they stuck to their game plan but we really do feel like it was two points that have gone begging.

“We need to start taking the way we train into the games.

“When we click we will be unplayable and collectively we believe that is not too far away.”

Rovers went ahead in the third minute when Theo Holt slipped a lovely ball to Justin Becker who pushed his way over in the right corner.

A minute before the break James Walker’s converted effort left Celtic two points ahead.

Soon into the second half Celtic increased their advantage when a short ball on the last tackle found prop forward Tommy Dunford, who scored unchallenged.

Rovers substitute Danny Griffiths collected a long ball and raced 20 metres, scattering the Dewsbury defence. Billy Maunder landed a fine touchline conversion to level matters.

Visiting substitute Danny Lee was red carded for running in and punching but Rovers spurned several opportunities to edge ahead with a penalty goal.

Nine minutes from time Heaton landed a penalty for Celtic and with the final play of the game they made sure of the win when substitute Billy Yarrow broke through.

Best for Rovers were Harry Files, Matt Taylor and Dan Fearnley.

Rovers: Theo Holt; Jack Holt, Justin Becker, Lewis Hoarty, Christian Taylor; Aaron Barber, Billy Maunder; Ryan Hickman, Ryan Brown, Josh Sudlow, Dan Fearnley, Matt Taylor, Harry Files. Subs: John Welch, Niall Toher, Danny Griffiths, Alex Smith.