Stafford Rangers 1 Warrington Town 1

WHILE this result was not as bad as it could have been for Yellows, results around them made it look worse.

Jack Dunn’s leveller ensured they were not beaten by Stafford Rangers for a second straight game, but wins for close rivals Farsley Celtic and South Shields put them on the back foot in the Evo-Stik Premier Division title race.

Just as they did at Cantilever Park two weeks ago, Town conceded right on half-time from a poorly-cleared set piece – Andrai Jones the beneficiary for the strugglers.

> Post-match reaction from Paul Carden

Pitches at this time of year are often difficult, but Marston Road’s surface was especially so.

Passing the ball on the floor was almost impossible – not that it stopped Yellows from trying.

Neither side could get any suitable rhythm going as the constant and often unnecessary whistling of referee Scott Tallis broke the game up.

Both sides were restricted to half-chances with neither goalkeeper being called into real action until just before the half-hour mark.

Dylan Vassallo weaved into the box and set up Josh Amis.

His volley looked destined for the roof of the net but Rangers stopper Adam Siviter produced a superb save to keep it out.

Stafford were not offering much in terms of creativity but it was from the great leveller of a set-piece that they wrestled the advantage.

Yellows could not deal with a corner and although Tony McMillan saved well from Luke Jones, the ball was put back in to set up a simple tap-in for unmarked namesake Andrai.

With the half-time words of their manager still ringing in their ears, Yellows tried to up the ante after the break.

However, they soon found themselves indebted to their goalkeeper for keeping them only one goal behind.

Mark Roberts’ slip let Andy Haworth in and he stood up a teasing cross for Jake Charles, but McMillan stuck out a hand to keep out the header at point-blank range.

If anything, the hosts looked more likely to score next as Charles then hooked a volley just wide and Joe Cuff had an effort held by McMillan.

Just after the hour though, Yellows struck.

Amis dropped deep and played an excellent ball out to Tony Gray on the right channel.

He found a telling cross and Dunn could not miss at the far post.

Jack Mackreth was sent on as Town scented blood and he should have been celebrating scoring just a few minutes later.

Gray found him with a superb ball over the top, but the winger slid the ball wide with only Siviter to beat.

McMillan then had to tip a looping Theo Bailey-Jones header over – a reminder that Stafford had not yet put their cue in the rack – before Roberts produced a crucial tackle to deny Charles as he bore down on goal.

Siviter was called into action at the other end as the impressive Russell Benjamin unleashed a superb long-range effort, but it proved Yellows’ final chance.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Duggan (Dixon), Whittle, Benjamin, Roberts, Raven, Vassallo (Mackreth), Evans, Gray (Cusani), Amis, Dunn. Subs not used: McCarthy, Hughes