Rob Watson, aka Spirit of 55, gives his latest views on Wire's season and the win against Wigan

The big rivals were in town, the evil empire that have crushed so many of our dreams in finals.

Right now though they aren’t a team to fear and Wire went into the game as strong favourites.

Sometimes that role can hinder a team but Wire started well and got on top early and stayed their throughout the first half.

After around six minutes, a slick handling move to the left featuring five accurate passes, created just enough space for Mamo to jink his way over in the corner.

Wire looked to assert their dominance from there but a mixture of Wigan’s grittiness, an outstanding tackle from Hardaker and Wire not being ruthless enough with some half chances they created kept the score closer than it probably should have.

With abut eight minutes left of the half Currie and Ratchford produced a try from a move that they use infrequently enough for it to keep working, but often enough to leave you wondering how teams keep falling for it.

Currie runs onto a tap penalty about thirty metres from the Wigan line, then angles slightly in field, Jason Clark pushes up in crucial support

Just when it looks like Currie is taking in a regulation drive on the first tackle he produces a lovely soft pass for Ratchford who is pushing up in support outside Clark on an angle that allows him to go through the Wigan line untouched.

Hardaker tries to get across to him but only manages to bump into the referee and Ratchford scores untouched. He converts his own try and adds a penalty just before half time to give Wire a 12-0 lead at the break.

Sometimes tries are created by a brilliantly crafted and executed piece of play, other times they just happen.

Such was the case when Escare completely missed a high kick from Austin and it bounced up into the hands of Charnley who did excellently to forcs his way over with a one-handed finish right in the corner.

The lead had been gradually built up to eighteen points, but just when the victory margin looked like it might well be comfortable after all, Wigan came back into the game with two quickfire tries to reduce the lead to six with over fifteen minutes left.

Patton then kicked a drop goal to ease the nerves a little and stop the Wigan momentum.

With six minutes to go Toby King tried to avoid conceding a drop out by running the ball out of his own in goal area.

He was tackled behind his own line but then a late hit and contact to his head sparked a brawl that virtually every player seemed to be involved in.

A sin binning for each side and a red card for Westwood, meant that the result was still in some doubt.

The eleven Wire players left managed those remaining minutes excellently and finished it all off when Hughes crashed over from close range to make the final score 25-12.

It was enjoyable to watch, Wire justify their strong favourites tag in a game against Wigan.

Much like the start of the season so far, there were still plenty of things to improve on, but there were more causes for optimism than pessimism.