BOTH sides could be forgiven for having Wembley on their minds in this game, but only one team really showed it.

While it may have been billed as a Challenge Cup Final dress rehearsal, the reality was anything but as many stars who will be on show on August 25 were either sat in the stands or left at home.

Still, The Wire had the chance to make somewhat of a statement and they certainly did that. They still believe they can grab second place in Super League.

That was reflected in their team selection, as Steve Price got the balance right between respecting the opposition and giving some of his fringe players their chance to shine.

Presented with a Dragons side which displayed 12 changes to their semi-final team – including three under 19s players who only joined up with the squad on the day of the game – they did what they had to do.

The young Frenchmen were not without chances, particularly in the opening quarter when they forced four consecutive sets deep in Wire territory.

Warrington had to muscle up in defence, but they showed admirable application at a time where eyes could have easily been taken off the ball.

After they had ridden out that mini-storm and re-established their dominance, the game descended into something resembling a pre-season friendly.

This was by no means the perfect performance, but the team showed their coach and the fans some important things.

Without really getting out of second gear, they showed a ruthless touch to rack up such a big scoreline and that they can go through the gears when it is required to take games away from teams in short spells.

Three tries in the final 10 minutes of the first half broke the game and earned them the right to express themselves after the break.

Bodene Thompson grew into the game on debut and was an energetic presence on the left edge after Harvey Livett was forced off. He showed he could be a useful signing as the Super 8s progresses.

To that end, Dec Patton will have found the 80-minute display at hooker a valuable exercise and Mitch Brown displayed why he is such a highly-valued member of the squad with an assured display at full-back.

While Catalans’ minds are clearly on their trip to London already, The Wire still have one crucial game to play before then.

However, they will go into their trip to Castleford in good form and high on confidence.


. The Wire are now unbeaten in their past 10 home meetings with Catalans.

. Wolves record their highest points total (56) and their biggest winning margin (50) of 2018.


Super 8s, Round One

Friday, August 10, 2018

Warrington Wolves…52 Catalans Dragons…6

Wolves: Mitch Brown; Josh Charnley, Toby King, Bryson Goodwin, Tom Lineham; Kevin Brown, Tyrone Roberts; Chris Hill, Declan Patton, Ben Westwood, Jack Hughes, Harvey Livett, Bodene Thompson. Subs: Joe Philbin, George King, Sitaleki Akauola. Not used: Daryl Clark

Dragons: Robin Brochon, Iain Thornley, Vincent Duport, David Mead, Ugo Martin; Arthur Mourgue, Lucas Albert; Mickael Simon, Alrix Da Costa, Antoni Maria, Ugo Perez, Mickael Goudemand, Jason Baitieri. Subs: Remi Casty, Benjamin Garcia, Thibaud Margalet, Lambert Belmas

Scoring: Charnley try, 5mins, 4-0; Lineham try, 29mins, Patton goal, 10-0; M Brown try, 32mins, Patton goal, 16-0; Lineham try, 37mins, Patton goal, 22-0; K Brown try, 44mins, Patton goal, 28-0; Roberts try, 53mins, Patton goal, 34-0; T King try, 58mins, Patton goal, 40-0; Patton try, 65mins, Patton goal, 46-0; Philbin try, 67mins, Patton goal, 52-0; Mead try, 74mins, Albert goal, 52-6; Lineham try, 79mins, 56-6

Penalties: Wolves 6 Dragons 7

Referee: Ben Thaler

Attendance: 8,032

Top man: VOTE HERE