MAKE no mistake, this was an opportunity lost for The Wire.

However, Steve Price’s players will be just as happy that they got something from a game they could have easily lost.

They were far from their best against a Catalans side bang in form and high on confidence, but they found a way to avoid defeat.

Nevertheless, there are things to be fixed up and they need to happen quickly as a pivotal period of the season grows ever nearer.

Some of Warrington’s defence – particularly in the first half – was terrible and uncharacteristic of most of the campaign.

The wide-open spaces Benjamin Jullien and Michael McIlorum were able to find for their tries were alarming and they looked particularly vulnerable to grubber kicks.

They conceded from one and it took a crucial touch from Bryson Goodwin to stop the Dragons from repeating the trick.

However, it must be emphasised that it was not all bad. Far from it.

The first rain we have seen in weeks made conditions a little tricky, but The Wire did look dangerous when they moved the ball.

Stefan Ratchford was once again at the heart of most things, and the play to bring him in round the back caused the French side endless problems.

While he continues to get better and better, Tyrone Roberts continues to puzzle.

Some of the things he produced were very good. He put a couple of excellent kicks in in the first half to pin Catalans back and kicked five goals from six attempts after taking the kicking tee for the first time in Super League.

However, you cannot help but feel he is holding something back, particularly when it comes to running the ball.

He did it once early in the game and made a half-break. Fans are desperate to see him do that more.

One thing he could do nothing about, though, was a disappointing show of poor sportsmanship from Tony Gigot, who threw the ball at him as he was trying to clear the ruck.

That should have been penalised, but referee Ben Thaler fell for Gigot’s antics and ruled in his favour, giving Catalans field position which led to them scoring their third try.

It was one of a couple of decisions that Wire followers can feel aggrieved went against them, but that cannot be used as an excuse.

Did Wolves do enough to win? You could argue they did - especially given they had two seven-tackle sets in the final stages - but the Dragons will feel similar.

Improvements are there to be made, and they have to come soon.


. Wire's first draw of 2018 season

. First ever draw between Warrington and Catalans


Super League Round 21

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Warrington Wolves…22 Catalans Dragons…22

Wolves: Stefan Ratchford; Josh Charnley, Toby King, Bryson Goodwin, Tom Lineham; Kevin Brown, Tyrone Roberts; Chris Hill, Daryl Clark, Mike Cooper, Jack Hughes, Harvey Livett, Ben Westwood. Subs: Sitaleki Akauola, Joe Philbin, Ben Pomeroy, Declan Patton.

Dragons: Tony Gigot; Lewis Tierney, David Mead, Brayden Wiliame, Fouad Yaha; Samisoni Langi, Josh Drinkwater; Remi Casty, Michael McIlorum, Mickael Simon, Benjamin Jullien, Benjamin Garcia, Greg Bird. Subs: Sam Moa, Julian Bousquet, Jason Baitieri, Kenny Edwards.

Scoring: Jullien try, 5mins, Drinkwater goal, 0-6; Goodwin try, 16mins, Roberts goal, 6-6; Drinkwater penalty, 20mins, 6-8; Charnley try, 22mins, 10-8; Livett try, 26mins, Roberts goal, 16-8; McIlorum try, 28mins, Drinkwater goal, 16-14; Roberts penalty, 35mins, 18-14; Gigot try, 38mins, Drinkwater goal, 18-20; Roberts penalty, 47mins, 20-20; Roberts penalty, 53mins, 22-20; Drinkwater penalty, 71mins, 22-22

Penalties: Wolves 9 Dragons 8

Sin bin: Simon (Catalans, 68mins)

Referee: Ben Thaler

Attendance: 8,807

Top man: Vote here