THE two points could prove invaluable to Warrington Wolves - but the pre-match entertainment was better than the main event on this occasion!

A spectacular demonstration of bravery, skill and artistry by the British Army's Red Devils parachute team as they flew in with the match ball on Armed Forces Day proved to be the highlight but it was through no lack of effort.

With the most selection changes made for any Super League game this year, Steve Price's side still had the weaponry but lacked the fluidity they have shown at times this season and their execution was off the mark as a result.

Half a dozen opportunities to cross for tries were bombed and that helped to keep a well-drilled Salford side in the reckoning until the late stages when the fatigue of a barmy summer's night took its toll on the visitors.

The Wire, eager to overcome Salford's tactics of attempting to slow the game down, perhaps overplayed at times and a significant amount of lost possession led to some frenetic moments, some untidy spells and mainly lost chances to put 10th-placed Salford to bed earlier than they did.

Warrington Guardian:

Ben Murdoch-Masila leaves the warm-up with a leg injury. Pictures by Mike Boden

Losing Ben Murdoch-Masila in the warm-up and Harvey Livett's second-row replacement Ben Pomeroy midway through the first half, both with leg injuries, impacted on the way The Wire were able to spell their forwards in the hot conditions but credit the team for digging deep, finishing strongly and finding a way to secure a win that keeps them in the top four.

In the circumstances, prop Mike Cooper was superb in staying out there for 80 minutes and indeed scoring the final try with a huge show of strength, while some further shuffling around after the returning Toby King left the field with a head injury even saw half-back/hooker Dec Patton filling in at centre for a spell.

Warrington Guardian:

Sterling effort from Mike Cooper, who capped an 80-minute display with the final try

Mitch Brown, filling in at full-back for the rested England number one Stefan Ratchford, looked sharp and a capable deputy even though not everything he tried came off for him.

That was the case for many but the moments of scrappiness were lit up by two brilliant finishes by wing pair Josh Charnley and Tom Lineham who continue to show that with their kind of finishing power on the flanks Wolves have always got a chance.


. Wolves complete a Super League double over Salford

. Ben Westwood's 499th career game

. The Wire's 32nd win from 49 Super League meetings with Salford


Super League, Round 19, Friday, June 29, 2018

Warrington Wolves…30 Salford Red Devils…14

Wolves: Mitch Brown; Josh Charnley, Toby King, Bryson Goodwin, Tom Lineham; Kevin Brown, Tyrone Roberts; Sita Akauola, Daryl Clark, Mike Cooper, Jack Hughes, Ben Pomeroy, Ben Westwood. Subs: Ben Murdoch-Masial, Joe Philbin, Dec Patton, Dom Crosby.

Red Devils: Jack Littlejohn; Derell Olpherts, Kris Welham, Junior Sau, Jake Bibby; Robert Lui, Jake Shorrocks; Lama Tasi, Josh Wood, Lee Mossop, George Griffin, Ryan L;annon, Greg Burke. Subs: Mark Flanagan, Logan Tomkins, Ben Nakubuwai, Daniel Murray.


Scoring: Akauola, try, 7mins, Goodwin goal, 6-0; Littlejohn try, 13mins, Lui goal, 6-6; Lineham try, 17mins, 10-6; Toby King, 23mins, 14-6; Littlejohn try, 35mins, Bibby, 46mins, 14-14; Charnley try, 52mins, Goodwin goal, 20-14; Clark try, 71mins, Goodwin goal, 26-14; Cooper 78mins, 30-14.

Penalties: Wolves 6 Red Devils 3

Sin bin: Lannon (Salford), holding down, 27mins

Referee: Chris Kendall

Attendance: 9,171

Man of the match (Guardian readers' poll): VOTE HERE