Oldham St Annes 24 Woolston Rovers 12

IT is now back-to-back defeats for Woolston Rovers despite an improved performance at Oldham St Annes on Saturday.

They went into half-time level at 12-12 after Tom Woodward and Matt Davy scored tries, but the hosts pulled away after the break.

Rovers now sit fifth in National Conference League Division Three.

“We showed plenty of promise in the first half and were unlucky to only be level at the break,” head coach John Fieldhouse said.

“We felt as though we were in good shape and confident going into the second half that we could get the win.

“Unfortunately, our second half completion rate was low and that kept us on the back foot and St Annes were able to pull clear.”

“We need to be more clinical when we have our chances.”

St Annes winger Callum Cashin opened the scoring inside the first minute, but Woolston hit back midway through the first half.

Dan Fearnley slipped a lovely pass to Woodward, who crossed just left of the posts to leave Lewis Hoarty with an easy conversion.

Parity was short-lived as Matt Whitehead sneaked over from dummy-half for the hosts before converting his own try.

Rovers did manage to rebound again when Kieran Moore’s smart pass saw Davy score on the left, with Hoarty’s conversion sending the sides in level at the break.

Once Whitehead had put Oldham back in front with a penalty, however, they did not look back.

Two further Whitehead penalties and a Tom Robinson try saw the hosts pull away and their lead proved unassailable.

Woolston’s next game sees them travel to Gateshead Storm on Saturday, April 28.

Woolston: Luke Walker; Justin Becker, Tom Woodward, Lewis Hoarty, Lewis Melia; Theo Holt, Ryan Brown; Jack Sherratt, Harry Files, Ryan Hickman, Dan Fearnley, Anthony Clayton, Matt Clarke. Subs: Kieran Moore, Danny Griffiths, Matt Davy, Kyle Brown.

Woolston Rovers A were denied the chance to extend their unbeaten run when their game against Westhoughton was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Blackbrook Royals u18 22 Woolston Rovers u18 4

KIERAN Moore was Woolston’s only try scorer as they lost their unbeaten record in St Helens on Saturday.

The hosts only led 4-0 at the break but pulled clear in the second half for a deserved victory.

“It was disappointing to lose our first game of the season, but I cannot fault the effort of the lads,” Rovers under 18s coach John Morris said.

“We had a few players missing but still had a strong side, but on the day Blackbrook controlled the game better and got the win.”

Woolston u18: Will Ridge; Tom Gaskell, Ross McGlone, Callum Harnett-Smy, Audi Day; Dec Leonard, Jake Eccles; Owen Hazlehurst, Kieran Moore, Jacob Proudlove, Joel Irvine, Todd Preston, Sean Millington. Subs: Ben Moore, Fraser Borthwick, Charlie Cook.