TOUGH and resilient is what Steve Price wants his Wire team to be and those two qualities can be measured in how you bounce back from adversity.

From the undoubted low of being comfortably beaten on their own turf by neighbours St Helens, Warrington provided the perfect riposte.

Even the most optimistic of Wire fans will have feared the worst when the heavens opened over the south of France.

Wet weather rugby has never been Warrington’s strong point and examples of that have already been seen in 2018.

However, even before Mitch Brown slid over after just four minutes, you could tell this was a Wire team determined to change that.

They displayed a control and poise that has deserted them for much of this season. In the first half in Perpignan, The Wire had a 91 per cent completion rate.

In torrential rain, that is pretty outstanding.

Much of that was down to the work of Kevin Brown and Tyrone Roberts. They kicked with purpose, always with an intent to, at the very least, restrict the Dragons’ field position.

Brown, Roberts, Daryl Clark and Stefan Ratchford were able to thrive off the platform set by another outstanding display from the pack.

As the game went on, you could see Roberts growing in confidence. Hopefully, that will be a sign of things to come from The Wire’s marquee man.

A real number nine’s try from Clark and a “right place, right time” score from Ben Murdoch-Masila had The Wire in command at the break, but there was still work to do.

The sting still had to be taken out of Catalans, but Murdoch-Masila went a long way towards doing that by crashing over minutes after the restart.

He looked a different player in his bench role to the one that struggled on the edge against Saints and his second try was the kind of close-range barnstormer that earned him rave reviews at Salford.

The game had an edge to it, with referee Chris Kendall dishing out two yellow cards per side as a result of two mass brawls. Both teams ended both halves with 12 men.

Still, that could not knock Wolves off their stride and their defence impressively protected their lead before Harvey Livett added an opportunistic coup de grace.

These sorts of displays make the error and penalty-ridden games we have seen so far even more frustrating.

The hope for Wire fans everywhere now, is that this can be used as a springboard for an extended winning run.


. The Wire become the first team to prevent Catalans from scoring in a home Super League game.

. Chris Hill makes his 200th Super League appearance.

. Mitch Brown and Ben Murdoch-Masila score their first Warrington tries.


Super League, Round Six.

Saturday, March 17, 2018.

Catalans Dragons…0 Warrington Wolves…26.

Dragons: David Mead; Fouad Yaha, Tony Gigot, Iain Thornley, Lewis Tierney; Greg Bird, Lucas Albert; Remi Casty, Michael McIlorum, Sam Moa, Louis Anderson, Brayden Wiliame, Ben Garcia. Subs: Paul Aiton, Julian Bousquet, Mickael Simon, Benjamin Jullien.

Wolves: Stefan Ratchford; Mitch Brown, Toby King, Bryson Goodwin, Tom Lineham; Kevin Brown, Tyrone Roberts, Chris Hill, Daryl Clark, Mike Cooper, Ben Westwood, Jack Hughes, Gorge King Subs: Sitaleki Akauola, Ben Murdoch-Masila, Harvey Livett, Joe Philbin.

Scoring: M Brown try, 4mins, 0-4; Clark try, 18mins, Goodwin goal, 0-10; Murdoch-Masila try, 26mins, 0-14; Murdoch-Masila try, 43mins, Goodwin goal, 0-20; Livett try, 77mins, Goodwin goal, 0-26.

Penalties: Catalans 9 Wire 10.

Referee: Chris Kendall.

Sin bin: Yaha (32mins, fighting), Lineham (32mins, fighting), McIlorum (73mins, fighting), G King (73mins, fighting).

Attendance: 6,403.

Top man (Guardian readers’ vote): Daryl Clark.

* Watch the highlights: