Warrington Town 2 Barwell 0

YELLOWS secured an ultimately comfortable win over Barwell to keep up their hopes of catching Evo-Stik Premier Division leaders Altrincham.

Jamie McDonald netted twice after the hour mark at Cantilever Park as Town ended the visitors’ nine-match unbeaten league run.

The result keeps Paul Carden's side in second place as they took advantage of Altrincham's game being postponed to narrow the gap between them to seven points.

Joe Piggott had the game’s first chance, reacting first to flick-ons by Jack Higgins and Liam Goulding before heading just over.

For the visitors, Matthew Stenson looked like their most dangerous outlet, producing a rampaging run to force a corner before heading the resulting set-piece just wide.

Town’s best chance fell to Devarn Green after Shaun Beeley’s cross came through to him at the far post, but his shot was deflected over the bar.

Yellows stopper Luke Pilling had a brief scare when Goulding’s attempted header back to him fell narrowly over the bar, but the on-loan Tranmere stopper was at his best shortly after to keep the game scoreless.

A corner was flashed goalwards at the near post by Brady Hickey, but Pilling produced a superb reaction stop.

Piggott then sent an acrobatic effort wide as the sides went in scoreless at the break.

After a cautious start to the second half by both sides, Yellows missed a golden chance to take the lead when Higgins’ header from a corner was saved by Barwell stopper Liam Castle, before McDonald’s rebound attempt hit the crossbar.

However, they were not to wait much longer for their opener as top scorer McDonald won the ball back inside the Barwell half and fed Beeley, who in turn fed the striker to smash home left-footed.

Piggott flicked a Sean Williams free kick over the bar as Town looked to double their lead, which they duly did with 20 minutes remaining.

Pilling’s long free-kick was expertly controlled by McDonald, who rolled the ball past the advancing Castle.

Now backed by a two-goal advantage, Town showed excellent game management to keep control of the game and deny Barwell a foothold in the contest.

That was, however, until substitute Ryan Baldwin got in behind for the visitors, but Pilling was quick off his line to save.

Tony Gray had a shot blocked after some neat approach play and Williams bent a free kick just wide as Yellows saw out the remainder of the game with minimum fuss.

Warrington Town: Pilling, Adam Carden, McKeown, Jennings (Davis), Higgins, Goulding, Beeley, Williams, McDonald, Piggott (Gray), Green (Hayhurst). Subs not used: Barnes, Bakare.