Wealdstone 2 Warrington Town 1

WARRINGTON Town's FA Trophy run is at an end after defeat at Wealdstone.

Danny Green's late winner settled the tie at Grosvenor Vale, minutes after debutant Joe Pigott had equalised for Yellows.

Green's penalty had put the National League South side ahead just after the hour mark and they now advance to the quarter finals.

Yellows, who were without skipper Jay McCarten, started strongly and put the hosts under pressure, with Will Hayhurst shooting straight at Stones keeper Jonathan North when well placed.

They came even closer shortly after as Tony Gray saw a superb effort pushed onto the post. Jamie McDonald tapped home the rebound, but the offside flag saved the hosts.

Mustafa Tiryaki volleyed Wealdstone’s first opening wide, but Yellows continued to control the early stages.

However, once Wealdstone brought Dan Fitchett off the bench and changed their shape, they began to take control.

Still, though, Yellows were holding them at bay comfortably until the closing stages of the half.

Fitchett burst in behind the Town defence, but Tony McMillan did well to save with his legs and stop his side going into the break behind.

After the break, Yellows had a flood of chances without hitting the net.

The first was a superb long-range effort from Sean Williams that was bound for the top corner, but North flew to keep it out.

However, the best chance was to come as Gray was released, but North saved his effort but the rebound fell to the Town man, but Jerome Okimo got back to clear off the line and scramble away.

McDonald then flashed an effort wide, before Jack Higgins produced an excellent block to deny Ashleigh Artwell.

It was the hosts who found the breakthrough in controversial circumstances as Edward Oshodi, up for a long throw, was adjudged to have been tripped and referee Sam Purkiss awarded a penalty.

Green stepped up and sent McMillan the wrong way from the spot.

Yellows stepped up the pressure in search of an equaliser, with Dylan Vassallo firing over before an almighty goalmouth scramble resulted in McDonald almost squeezing the ball home.

The equaliser was coming and it arrived in the 82nd minute when, after Higgins flicked on Rory McKeown’s long ball, Pigott charged through to slot home with his first touch.

However, parity was short-lived as Green broke Yellows’ hearts.

His long-range effort took a wicked bounce off a heavily-sanded goalmouth, squirmed through McMillan's grasp and crept over the line.

Town had late chances to equalise again, with Vassallo skewing a volley wide and Gray heading over, but it was not to be.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Adam Carden (Pigott), McKeown, Williams, Goulding, Higgins, Kinsella (Milne), Vassallo, McDonald, Gray, Hayhurst (Barnes). Sub not used: Beeley, Bakkor.