Warrington Town 0 Marine 0

YELLOWS held on for a point despite playing much of the second half with 10 men against Marine.

Jack Higgins was sent off on the hour mark, just six minutes after coming on, for Paul Carden’s men but they were able to preserve their clean sheet at Cantilever Park.

Both teams had spells of pressure in the early stages, with Jay McCarten heading over in Yellows’ clearest opening after fellow centre-half Liam Goulding stood the ball up to the far post.

Ex-Yellow Will Smart headed wide from a corner shortly after as Marine started to get on top, helped by a strong wind in their favour.

Danny Mitchley unleased a curling effort which looked destined for the far corner, but home stopper Tony McMillan produced a good save to keep it out.

Visiting skipper Mitchley came even closer on the half-hour mark as he sprung the offside trap and bore down on goal, but McMillan produced another superb stop.

Marine remained on the front foot for the remainder of the first half without creating much, while Sean Williams curled a shot comfortably over the bar at the other end.

The second half began with Will Hayhurst dragging a shot wide for the hosts, but just as they started to get on top, they were brought down again.

Higgins, who had been on the field a matter of minutes, was pipped to the ball by Dominic Reid and could only bring him down as the Marine man bore down on goal.

Referee Nik Storey was left with little option but to dismiss Higgins, his second red card in three appearances.

That brought Marine back onto the front foot as Carden made changes to try and hold on for a point, with attacking threats Jamie McDonald and Dylan Vassallo withdrawn.

Yellows coped admirably with one less player, repelling everything that was thrown at them as McMillan saved from substitute Max Hazeldine.

They could have even nicked it thanks to two pieces of uncertain goalkeeping from Marine’s Martin Fearon.

Firstly, he spilled Tony Gray’s cross and just about regathered before Hayhurst could stab home the loose ball.

Fearon’s handling was suspect again as the clock ticked towards the 90-minute mark, dropping Hayhurst’s free-kick before the ball was scrambled away with Yellows players claiming it had crossed the line.

Ultimately, however, neither side could force the decisive breakthrough.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Adam Carden, McKeown, Jennings, McCarten, Goulding, Vassallo (Hamer), Williams (Higgins), McDonald (Kinsella), Gray, Hayhurst. Subs not used: Milne, Bakkor.