Warrington Town 3 Tamworth 0

YELLOWS made a massive statement by putting National League North side Tamworth to the sword in their FA Trophy third qualifying round replay.

Jamie McDonald’s first-half double put the hosts in command at Cantilever Park and, after waves of Tamworth pressure after the break, Tony Gray rounded off the victory late on.

The victory for Paul Carden’s side sets up a home clash with Evo-Stik Premier Division leaders Altrincham on Saturday, December 16.

After playing out an entertaining 2-2 draw at the Lamb Ground on Saturday, the sides set off quickly with both teams attempting to execute a high press.

Chances were hard to come by, but Dylan Vassallo almost created one when he weaved his way into the area but his pullback evaded both McDonald and Gray.

However, it wasn’t long before Town hit the front when Vassallo’s touch sent McDonald through on goal and, with the referee playing advantage from an earlier foul, the striker slotted beyond Lambs stopper Shaun Rowley.

The goal allowed Yellows to slowly take command, despite skipper Jay McCarten limping off injured midway through the half.

Rory McKeown and Sean Williams both had efforts blocked, before the latter hit a shot straight at Rowley after being set up by McDonald.

Shortly afterwards, the red-hot Yellows hitman did double his tally after Tony Gray’s excellent through ball put him in on goal and he slid a finish past Rowley.

Steph Morley’s free kick in first-half injury time sailed just over the crossbar, and that was the closest the visitors came before the break.

After Lambs defender Jack Lane somehow escaped with just a yellow card for hauling down McDonald as he raced through on goal, Yellows spurned a glorious chance to go three goals up.

First, Rowley saved well from McDonald before Brad Barnes’ rebound was blocked out to Sean Williams, whose deflected shot was somehow kept out by the visiting stopper.

Eventually, though, Tamworth started to pile on the pressure and thought they had one back when Darryl Knight bundled the ball goalwards, but Tony McMillan kept it out despite Knight’s claims it had crossed the line.

McMillan also kept out Connor Taylor as the Lambs pressed, but Yellows wrapped things up as the game moved into injury time.

James Barrigan was just prevented from getting to fellow substitute Scott Bakkor’s cross, but the ball fell nicely for Gray to sweep home.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Adam Carden, McKeown, Jennings, McCarten (Higgins), Goulding, Williams, Barnes, McDonald (Barrigan), Gray, Vassallo (Bakkor). Subs not used: Davis, Paynter.