WHEN Adrian Morley arrived at Warrington from Sydney Roosters in 2007, they were signing a man on the fast-track to becoming a legend of rugby league.

Having become the first British player to win an NRL Premiership and a Super League winner’s ring, Morley signed a four-year deal at The Halliwell Jones Stadium and helped bring The Wire’s era of drought to a spectacular end.

Seven years, three Challenge Cup wins and two Grand Final appearances later, Morley left with his status as Wire royalty secured.

Without doubt one of the greatest forwards in the modern Super League era, Morley started out with Leeds Rhinos, making his debut in 1995 and enjoying a stellar campaign.

A Challenge Cup win followed in 1999 before the lure of the NRL proved to be too much and he was snapped up by Sydney Roosters.

He took a while to adjust to a new country before playing a crucial role in the Roosters’ 2002 NRL Premiership win, their first in 27 years.

He returned to England with the Roosters to play the World Club Challenge against Super League champions St Helens the following year and was imperious in the back row, scoring a try in a dominant win for the Australian side.

Morley was on top of the world.

He enjoyed another stand-out year, reaching the NRL Grand Final again before losing out to the Penrith Panthers before the undoubted low-point of his career during the 2003 close-season.

After being selected to represent Great Britain in the Ashes series against the touring Australian side, Morley flattened Robbie Kearns with a swinging arm in the opening Test, leaving referee Steve Ganson with no choice but to send Morley off just 12 seconds into the game, the fastest ever rugby league sending off.

He bounced back by reaching another NRL Grand Final the following year before joining Bradford Bulls on a short-term deal at the back end of the 2005 season, helping them to a Grand Final win over Leeds and becoming the first Englishman to complete the rugby league “trifecta” of wins in the NRL Premiership, Super League and Challenge Cup.

His final season in Sydney ended in controversy as a knee to the head of Canterbury Bulldogs player Corey Hughes led to a seven-match suspension and he was released from his contract.

Enter The Wire, who were more than happy to offer Morley a route back into Super League, although his debut did not exactly go to plan.

He collided with Wigan prop Eamonn O’Carroll 37 minutes into his first game, meaning he needed surgery on a fractured eye socket that sidelined him for around a month.

Morley made his comeback and home debut against Hull Kingston Rovers but he was forced off the field early again with a fractured left cheekbone.

He was appointed Wolves captain for the next season, which was when his impact really started to grow.

After James Lowes had replaced Paul Cullen in mid-season, Morley led Wolves to a play-offs finish after they had missed out in the previous season.

They lost out to Catalans Dragons and Lowes was removed after losing the first three games of the 2009 season, meaning Morley was to be reunited with his old coach at international level, Tony Smith.

Together, they led the club through a golden era.

While they may have finished the league campaign in a disappointing 10th position, Morley was imperious in leading the side to Challenge Cup glory, winning the Wembley showpiece 25-16 against Huddersfield to become the first Wire skipper to lift major silverware in 35 years.

Twice more he climbed the Wembley stairs to pick up the Challenge Cup as well as leading Wolves in the 2012 and 2013 Grand Finals.

Both games ended in heartbreak, but his stellar career on both sides of the globe means he will certainly go down in folklore as a true rugby league icon.