Games between these clubs rarely seem to be particularly entertaining but Knutsford's first-half performance was outstanding and they did not allow the loss of an early goal to upset their rythym.

Henry Flanagan was at the hub of some promising moments and allied to the good movement and passing being displayed by Paul Fry, Jez Edwards and Ian Platt down the right flank it seemed only a matter of time before Knutsford were back on level terms.

Manager Kevin Gibbons kept faith with the side that had so comprehensively defeated Linotype and that meant another start in a forward position for Steve Kenyon.

In a difficult, buffeting wind Knutsford were playing some controlled football and though Kenyon was finding himself being dragged occasionally into too-wide positions, it was from one such position that Knutsford deservedly equalised.

He linked up well with Stuart Fraser and pulled the ball back for Ian Platt on 22 minutes for the predominately left-sided player to turn sweetly and deftly strike the ball home with his right foot past Leon Beard's despairing dive for a fine goal.

The visitors now had their tails up and enjoyed an excellent spell up to half-time when they looked destined to tie the game up comfortably.

Paul Fry shaped himself to volley just past the upright and then soon afterwards he received a return pass from Platt and cutting in left he let fly with a thunderous drive that beat the keeper but crashed against the crossbar.

Jez Edwards and Stuart Fraser, the full backs, were being better employed going forward in wing back roles.

Unfortunately the second half reverted to more usual fayre and with the visitors now going with the strong wind, play became fragmented. Steve Kenyon still had a couple of half-decent chances but couldn't prosper and then hit the bar before Jason Fraser signed off on a 34-day suspension with a fine shot flipped over the top by Beard.

Rylands could have snatched the points themselves in the final minutes when Nevins was denied while one-on-one with Dave Kenyon and the keeper again was equal to Callaghan's shot when in the clear with another superb save.

It was the Warrington club's first home point of the season so they finished quite satisfied.

Knutsford: D. Kenyon; Edwards, Jump, Davy, Gibbons, S. Fraser; Flanagan, J. Fraser, Fry; Platt, S. Kenyon. Subs: Johnson, Senior, Hughes (none used).

On Saturday Knutsford entertain bottom club Malpas at Manchester Road. Kick off 3pm.

Converted for the new archive on 13 March 2001. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.